5% ingredients

hey everyone when putting a ingredient at 5% do you recieve the benefits of that ingredient??? 

Comments

• Not sure what you're making....but other than water...most formulas never hit the 5% range (other than an oil or the likes)... Some ingredients will seriously damage you at 5%.

• I would think this would very much depend on the ingredient you're using...each and every ingredient has its own suggested and maximum usage rates...and I agree with @Graillotion...there are a lot of ingredients that can cause serious injury and/or damage if used at 5%...some even at .5% or less! At the very least, most ingredients would not give any more perceivable benefit when used at more than 1-2%. But again, each ingredient is different.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Depends on the ingredient. There is no 5% rule that applies to everything.
  • Not sure what you're making....but other than water...most formulas never hit the 5% range (other than an oil or the likes)... Some ingredients will seriously damage you at 5%.

I'm making a "hair growth oil" and what do u mean by "Some ingredients will seriously damage you at 5%."
  • abierose said:
    I would think this would very much depend on the ingredient you're using...each and every ingredient has its own suggested and maximum usage rates...and I agree with @Graillotion...there are a lot of ingredients that can cause serious injury and/or damage if used at 5%...some even at .5% or less! At the very least, most ingredients would not give any more perceivable benefit when used at more than 1-2%. But again, each ingredient is different.

I'm making a hair oil
  • Perry said:
    Depends on the ingredient. There is no 5% rule that applies to everything.
    making a hair oil 
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    edited July 2021
    I thought the 5% rule was where you add every ingredient at 5% each to keep the math simple?
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals & Clean Beauty arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program/Clean At Sephora/Credo Clean guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com

• I thought the 5% rule was where you add every ingredient at 5% each to keep the math simple?

🤣
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    If you are making a "hair oil" which is meant to soften hair and make it more manageable or feel nicer, then 5% oil would certainly have an impact.

If you're making a "hair growth oil" then neither 5% or 100% of any oil ingredient is going to work. Oils are not proven to make hair grow.
  • Perry said:
    If you are making a "hair oil" which is meant to soften hair and make it more manageable or feel nicer, then 5% oil would certainly have an impact.

If you're making a "hair growth oil" then neither 5% or 100% of any oil ingredient is going to work. Oils are not proven to make hair grow.
    thank you so much for that I know minoxidil is the only proven thing is that it?? and so where can I purchase minoxidil to use in my product
  • Perry said:

thank you so much for that I know minoxidil is the only proven thing is that it?? and so where can I purchase minoxidil to use in my product
    Last time I checked, Minoxidil is a drug, not a cosmetic.

This is a completely different arena.  I think it was only a suggestion of what works....not something you should pursue.
  • edited July 2021
    Perry said:

Last time I checked, Minoxidil is a drug, not a cosmetic.

This is a completely different arena.  I think it was only a suggestion of what works....not something you should pursue.
    Ok

I'm making a "hair growth oil" and what do u mean by "Some ingredients will seriously damage you at 5%."
    Some ingredients are more than effective at tiny %. You don’t need more 0.2% of EDTA or 0.05% of BHA (or BHT). Ingredients like retinol can cause serious damage at 5%