How do you clean your lab glassware after formulating with sunscreens?

This has been a difficult job that takes several days... It looks like powdered ingredients as Parsol (TX and ZX) once heated stick to the glass and become extremely problematic. I can't clean the containers easily, the remains of the formulation hardens and even when I heat water to make the glass hot, it takes a lot of time to clean because the residues spread through all the glass, leaving a white trail that makes me really mad. :pensive:

The only solution I found was to leave the container immersed in water for a few days until the detachment becomes easier, but I think there must be a better way to solve this. There needs to be. :sweat_smile:

Thank you in advice! :blush:

Comments

• EVchemEVchem Member
    edited June 2021
    You could try doing an oil rinse and then following with alcohol/ surfactant. Or maybe invest in a sonicator / an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner
  • EVchem said:
    You could try doing an oil rinse and then following with alcohol/ surfactant. Or maybe invest in a sonicator / an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner
    Thank you! I did it with Sunflower oil (Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil) and LESS (Sodium Laureth-2 Sulfate) together and to finish I used a type of paper towel to remove the rest of the sunscreen formulation. It worked out well and made my job a lot easier, very very thank you!

Anyway, sunflower oil maybe wasn't a good choice, I just did it for testing. Do you have any recommendations for a cheaper oil to use instead?
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    in my experience, solvent degreaser (a mixture of petroleum spirit and oil-soluble poloxamer) followed by alcohol spray is an excellent way to shift water-resistant residues
    UK based former cosmetic chemist with 13 years' experience at the bench. I've worked with pretty much everything apart from pressed powders, soap, solid lipstick and aerosols. Now working in the messy world of screen-printing inks.