Carbomer, should I assume they started with 100%?

https://www.lubrizol.com/-/media/Lubrizol/Life-Sciences/Documents/TDS/TDS-237_Neutralizing_Carbopol_Pemulen_in_Aqueous_Hydroalcoholic_Systems--PH.pdf

It says 18% NaOH solution, the NaOH that I bought is 90% Pure, I am going to email them to get exact information but should I assume there Sodium Hydroxide is 99% Pure

Comments

• @sean9980 You can make a solution dissolving your 90% NaOH in enough water to get the 18% solution of NaOH. 
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    It really is quite simple. Make two experiments. Assume they used 99% pure in (1) and 90% in (2). Measure the resulting pH and viscosity.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    @sean9980

The purity of your NaOH is not really of any significance.  Of course, higher purity means less "contaminants" ... but, for these purposes the issue is getting enough NaOH into the mix to raise the pH to the point where the Carbomer will gel.  It really does not matter if you use 90% NaOH, 99% NaOH, an 18% solution or a 25% solution as long as you raise the pH sufficiently for the Carbomer to activate and gel.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals & Clean Beauty arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program/Clean At Sephora/Credo Clean guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com