Carbomer 940 compatibility with SLS in shampoo

Greetings,
               I wanted to know if Carbomer 940 is compatible with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, if it is then how should is use it in shampoo? Should i make carbomer gel or is there some other method? 
                                                                                                          Thanks         

Comments

• BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    Not worth wasting your time and materials. Besides, SLS thickens with electrolytes.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • FekherFekher Member, Professional Chemist
    @Hamaadali008 you can use carbomer for that but it needs expertise because carbomer is very sensitive with electrolyte so you need to know the adequat amount for each ingredient to do the job, however SLS is ingredient easy to thick with other ingredients as slat. 
  • I think Carbopol SF-1 does a decent enough job of thickening in the presence of surfactants, off the top of my head. Might be worth trying that.
    As @Fekher mentions, surfactant systems can be thickened with NaCl so it'd be worth looking into that.
  • chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    You may thicken and stabilize SLS/SLES and other shampoos with Synthalen W400 or W2000 from 3V Sigma also, and these do not require the back-acid build as does Lubrizol's Carbopol SF-1. Jus' sayin'
  • You may thicken and stabilize SLS/SLES and other shampoos with Synthalen W400 or W2000 from 3V Sigma also, and these do not require the back-acid build as does Lubrizol's Carbopol SF-1. Jus' sayin'
    Good point well made.
    Have also had reasonable success with Aculyn 88, but admittedly haven't done much with it yet.