Xanthan Gum problem?

Hi guys,
I got a little "visual" problem. After adding 1% Xanthan Gum to my stuff and mixing, it produces some weird trails. There is no oil in the mixture. Does anyone know why it happens? And how could I remove the trails, except from not using xanthan.

Comments

• Looks like your Xanthan isn't fully hydrated yet.  You might want to try premixing it in glycerin before adding, or adding in the beginning and allow it to fully hydrate. 
  • cyrocyro Member
    I tried doing it with glycerin before, same result, I will let it fully hydrate next time then, does temperature matter in this case? Should I mix it with warmer substances or cold ones are good to go?
    Thanks for help
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    I had same problem like that
    here what I do: put xanthan gum onto oil phase and heat to 70C
    will take care the problem.

• cyrocyro Member
    Thanks for advice
  • SpongeSponge Member
    Xanthan gum is known for this stringy nature. It happens more or less, supposedly depending on grade. 
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    1% is also in the high range.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    I used in mine is 0.5%
    It thickens the water soluble ingredients 
    I also used cetyl alcohol for thickening oils phase ingredients