Hair Pomade hold is weak

Hi guys, below are my Loi. I would like to ask how can i actually get a stronger hold. The final product appeared cakey and the hold is not strong enough. Anyone know how can i achieve a stronger hold?

Appreciate your advice

Water Phase
Aqua 48%
Polysorbate 80 3%

Oil Phase 
Olive Butter 10% 
Lanolin 14%
Jojoba Pearls 6%
PEG40 Castor Oil 4%
Cet. Glucoside 3%

Clay Phase 
Kaolin Clay 4%
Bentonite 2%
Silica 1%

Others
Butylene Glycol 2%
Glycerin 2%
Tocopherol 0.5%
Essential oil 0.5%

Comments

• I am not a hair styling products expert, but you don’t have anything for a hold. You need PVP.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Correct, you have no styling polymer in the product. You won't get much long lasting hold without it.  PVP or PVP/VA should do the trick. And the Jojoba pearls aren't really doing much.
  • Perry said:
    Correct, you have no styling polymer in the product. You won't get much long lasting hold without it.  PVP or PVP/VA should do the trick. And the Jojoba pearls aren't really doing much.
    I am not a hair styling products expert, but you don’t have anything for a hold. You need PVP.

Hi guys, Thanks for your input. I will get the PVP/VA and get it tested when it's here. But just checking, will this PVP/VA affect my clay product texture? 
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    edited November 2019
    No, it should not affect the product texture.
  • The PVP created a stickyness which I didn't like for my gel/wax formulation, but try it and share the results!
  • Is this suppose to be a matte product??
  • Even with PVP you’re not going to get much hold - you would have too many plasticizers in the formula.