Thickening Silicone & Other Oils

hishine1hishine1 Member
edited August 2014 in Formulating
Hi All

Hoping to get some ideas here - or be shot down in flames..... as the title says I would like to thicken oils, but I would like to know if this can be done to produce a crystal clear Anhydrous gel or jelly type end result.  What I want to do is achieve a cross between say a 'baby oil' gel type consistancy and a heavier lip gloss type product.  As usual it has to be all about shine - like patent type shine.

I have had lots of playing around making lovely thick buttery goop with oils and waxes, but I dont know if I'm barking up the wrong tree hoping for a crystal clear result. A fair while back I tried using some very high melt point "Gelled Mineral Oil" , for the life of me I cant remember the name sorry - think it was a RITA product. From memory it didnt incorporate well with silicones.

I'm open to using different products to get the end result, I have quite a few different silicones on hand to tinker with, polybutene etc But from my limited knowledge I cant see how I can get the clear gel. I did try some pre-thickened silicone gel but it had a mattifying effect.
The product I want has to be blindingly shiny, have enough slip to be easy to apply, be able to handle heat and some sweat without beading, not turn into a runny mess on a 40 degree day.... and still be clear.  
I'm sorry I cant be more specific, I know what I need in a tube but no idea what you would call it or if its possible to do.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers
Paula

Comments

• chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    Paula, you likley used Versagel from Calumet-Penreco before?  You are right, the polysioxane gums will thicken but always present a matte finish - OK for make-up primers, not so much for glossers. I seem to recall Seppic was recently peddling a silicone thickener; perhaps check their repertoire?.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    In no particular order:

Check out Zenitech products: http://www.zenitech.com/index.html 

Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Sensient has wonderful ingredients you need:

• BatiBati Member
    I have used the GP-1 and EB-21 gelling agents (Bobzchemist's link above) to get crystal clear gel/silicone sticks (according to their literature, you must use a combination of both GP-1 and EB-21 to get clarity).You could try adjusting the use levels to get gels, although I do not know what would happen during stability testing.
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    @Bati The use of these 2 items (which have to be used in conjunction and as communicated to me by Ajinomoto) would shoot up the formulation cost. For a high end product it can be absorbed but for medium to low-priced products I guess other thickeners would be more handy (of course after optimization).

• Hi all. Thought I should give an update for anyone looking at previous posts for Oil Thickeners. I havent yet finished all formulations as there are still several ingredients to try.
    But most successful so far (for my purposes) has been using a combo mix of Polyamides with a solvent and vegetable oils or hydrocarbons and or silicones. I have read elsewhere that these give a rather stiff/crumbly and not so elegant clear gel/stick, but loaded up with organo silicones it gave me a lovely feel with the clarity and structure close to what I need.

Thanks everyone for your input and comments! very helpful and appreciated :-)