Cetyl alcohol

i plan to use cetyl alcohol as the co-emulsifier to improve the emulsion. But, I do not have experience on it. Anyone helps me ? Thank you so much in advance.

Comments

• BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    We'll need more details than that. But cetyl is not an emulsifier.  Cetearyl is.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • Try cetosteryl alcohol with Ceto macrogol 1000 for cream/Lotion.
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    Thank a lot. Information on cetyl alcohol on internet said that it is both emulsifier and thickener 
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    Where did you read that?

Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    NOT an emulsifier - as Belassi pointed out -  but forms lamellar liquid crystal micelles WITH a primary emulsifier, which thicken your lotion or cream very efficiently. 
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    Hi Belassi
    two sources: chemistscorner : on the skin lotion, look at example formula 
    on google: search for cetyl alcohol and skin care
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    Thank you chemicalmatt for more clarification. It makes sense 
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    Cetyl alcohol in Truth in aging (google search)
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    Hi Belassi
    you are right. After reading more, cetyl alcohol is not emulsifier.
  • you cannot make a stable emulsion with cetyl alcohol, but it acts as co-surfactant... It will be present at the interface oil/water of the emulsion
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    Thanks Jeremien! 
  • I want to prepare night cream which will be in rich and shiny look. I tried with LLP, GMS, Cetostearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Coconut oil, Glycerin, DPG, Aqua etc. but it has granules and air. please help me to make it soft, shiny and rich look. 
  • Try changing emulsifier 
    emulsipure green coffee or creamMaker green coffee