thickener for oil blend

I have a blend of oils that is very nice but could use some thickening. I've never used an oil thickener. I read in one of Perry's articles that Silica, Bentonite, and Magnesium Aluminum Silicate could work. Isn't bentonite really heavy?
Tagged:

Comments

• johnbjohnb Member, Professional Chemist
    Cationic bentonites (Bentones) make very fine dispersions in liquids.

http://www.essentialingredients.com/productdetail.aspx?CatID=0&FunID=0&Srch=bentone gel

• Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    Ethocel 100 premium could be useful too. 
  • Thixin R should work
    edited March 2017
    I agree that Thixin R (or other brand of hydrogenated castor oil) should work.

I doubt that Ethocel 100 would be suitable  for this purpose as it is not soluble in aliphatic oily materials.

My previous reply here was a specific answer to the query on bentonite clays. From my own experience, I have found these materials very difficult to work with and they do not give a visually appealing effect.

Some grades of Versagel (Penreco) may be suitable for your uses if you need a transparent product.
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    @johnb Ethocel 100 Premium is exclusively to thicken and gel oils especially Octyldodecanol and other oils with Octyldodecanol. 
    I am corrected - thank you. I obtained my information from a general data sheet For Ethocel rather than the one devoted to the Premium 100 grade.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Bentonites, when properly activated, do really well in pigmented systems as thickeners and pigment suspenders. I agree with @johnb that to just thicken clear oil as a finished product, they won't be nice looking, or particularly stable.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."