emulsion stability

AvickAvick Member
edited April 2014 in Formulating
Looking for standards for evaluating emulsion stability.

What temperatures and timeframes are typically used to evaluate the stability of emulsions?

Thanks for any guidelines.

AV

Comments

• AvickAvick Member
    Am I asking the wrong type of questions?
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    No, it's just a question with a very long answer.

The CTFA once wrote a monograph on this subject. A quick search turned this up:

If you do a search on "evaluate the stability of cosmetic emulsions" you should get more information.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • AvickAvick Member
    Thanks, Bob. I am in trial-by-fire training here. Appreciate your suggestions so much!
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Quick-and-dirty evaluations can be done with a small centrifuge, but there's not a perfect correlation - you still need to run the stability tests.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • ZinkZink Member
    What's the centrifuge methodology? Can it in your experience give a lot of false positives? (i.e. if it fails centrifuge test it can still pass accelerated stability).