Hot or cold process?

I'm a little confused about whether I should be using hot process, cold process, or if it doesn't even matter for what I'm doing.

All of my materials have arrived for my soap free shampoo. I'm using ingredients such as Lauryl glucoside, Glucamate LT, distilled water, etc, in my soap free shampoo (liquid form). Most of the ingredients are liquid, but it looks like there are a few powders. 

When mixing everything together, should I be using hot or cold process? Or, since I'm not using lye, does it even matter? Can I just mix everything together? 

Tagged:

Comments

• BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    If the powders are soluble in water, then just cold mixing will do fine.

Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • MakingSkincareMakingSkincare Member, Professional formulator
    Lauryl glucoside will need heating.  I am not sure which powders you have as you didn't specify.
    Jane Barber
    www.makingskincare.com
    www.learncosmeticformulation.com (free online course)
    Formulation discussion forum (18,000 members): www.facebook.com/groups/makingskincare/
  • Thanks Belassi.

@MakingSkincare

Thanks for the comment. Here's the full list:

**Lauryl glucoside

**Distilled water 

**Coconut scent 

**Aloe 

**Glucamate LT

**White mica powder 

**Covi-ox T-50

**Optiphen ND

**Citric Acid USP

**Aevena Oat Oil 
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    If you think the mica will stay suspended, I have my doubts. Make a test first with a small amount, say half a kilo.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • johnbjohnb Member, Professional Chemist
    If this is for the dog shampoo detailed in your previous posting, you have ignored some of the relevant recommendations offered there why should  we believe that anything given here will be heeded.

Your dog will not appreciate the presence of mica in the shampoo and it will give you enormous formulation problems. Little point also in adding "oat oil" or aloe vera.
  • MakingSkincareMakingSkincare Member, Professional formulator
    As others here have said you might want to start again and learn surfactant formulation basics before tackling this.  This is a useful quick site: https://itsallinmyhands.com/2013/04/20/how-to-formulate-a-detergent/
    Jane Barber
    www.makingskincare.com
    www.learncosmeticformulation.com (free online course)
    Formulation discussion forum (18,000 members): www.facebook.com/groups/makingskincare/
  • the mica won't be added. I forgot to remove it from the list that I copied over.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that thread.