Dual layer cosmetic product

I am thinking to develop a dual layer cosmetic product (cream, lotion or face cleanser or other suitable category). If anybody is having an experience or any suggestion related to it, please share & i would like to mention here that i have done literature survey for this but unfortunately i didn't find much useful info even though there is not much market presence of such products. I also have a question that :
1. Which kind of chemistry does behind such a dual layer technology?
2. Is it a difference between specific gravity of each layer or related to miscibility?
3. Is it a role of filling technique of such a product behind it?

Note - Dual layer cosmetic means, product should discharge from nozzle of the tube in two colors or one layer should be transparent & other creamy like.


  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    you seem to be describing two very different things here

    do you mean a product that exists as two separate liquids inside the bottle, and that you shake before use, e.g. Dentyl pH mouthwash?

    or do you mean something like striped toothpaste?
    UK based cosmetic chemist with 13 years' experience at the bench. I've worked with pretty much everything apart from pressed powders, soap, solid lipstick and aerosols.
  • If it's like Stripe toothpaste, discharging from the neck of a tube, then it's done by filling 2 tubes that are then laid side by side to dispense thru a neck with a septum.
  • I mean, two separate liquids or semi solids inside tube or bottle.
  • Semi solids should not mix even by shaking.
  • ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
    Are you referring to something like this product?


    I'm not sure how it is done but it is very clever.
  • Somewhat same as mentioned by @ozgirl, i mean to say dual layer product discharge from one tube. Please refer - http://www.garnier.in/face-care/beauty/garnier/powerwhite/dual-action-face-wash
  • DavidDavid Member
    edited January 2016
    ashish - It is still not clear what you are talking about.(at least not for me) There is a huge difference between a double-action shower gel(which is more of a marketing trick since almost every cosmetic ingredient have more than one function) and actually having  physically two different products side by side in one bottle.
    ozgirl - the link is not working - says out of stock
  • I am guessing OP is referring to something like this:

    Should this be the case, the answer to your question is a combination of filling technology and miscibility. The clear gel is aqueous and the colored swirls are hydrophobic (i.e. oil based gels, W/O emulsions, etc.). Each component is made separately and specialized filling equipment creates the swirl effect.
  • ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
    Sorry about the link not working. The product I was referring to was the Garnier Ultra Lift 2 in 1 Serum + Moisturizer.


  • Two immiscible layer in single tube or suitable container. for e.g. one yellow & other white or one transparent & other creamy.
  • johnbjohnb Member, Professional Chemist
    Many years ago there was a product (bath oil, I think) which had three separate layers. The product was quite useless but it looked good in the bathroom as the three layers were three different colours.

    I had a request for a five layer product to compete but the best we could manage was four - and we weren't able to get a good enough colour difference between the layers.

    The layers comprised water bottom layer, light mineral oil for the middle and the top layer was a volatile silicone (cyclopentasiloxane). The colour was water soluble for the lower layer and oil (or rather silicone) soluble. By careful selection of colours there was a three colour system with the middle layer a combination of the upper and lower layers.

    Looked spectacular, especially after shaking and allowing to separate again but, as said above, totally useless.
Sign In or Register to comment.