Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating My deodorant stick works but it doesn’t glide!

• My deodorant stick works but it doesn’t glide!

Posted by marinaartm on October 11, 2021 at 10:08 am

Hi everyone!

I made a deodorant stick recipe and it does not leave a greasy feeling and it keeps it’s shape nicely but when i try to apply it i really have to struggle because it does not glide easily. It feels a bit dry and not emolient.
    I made before a similar recipe, only with 15% beeswax and 6% olivem and it was too crumbly. So i am thinking maybe to add cocoa butter, reduce the arrowroot powder to 10%, reduce waxes to 18% in total, remove olivem and maybe add an ester? 
    Please help me out.

The recipe is like this: 

Phase A
    caprylic capric triglyceride: 27.2%
    Cetearyl alcohol: 10%
    Beeswax: 15%
    Candelilla wax: 10%
    Olivem 1000: 10%
    Zinc ricinoleate: 3%
    Phase B
    Arrowroot powder: 13%
    Glycerin: 3%
    Powder extracts: 0,5%
    Phase C
    Vit E: 0,5%
    Triethyl citrate: 5% 
    Essential oils: 1,8%

Thank you!

bill_toge replied 2 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ariepfadli

October 11, 2021 at 12:57 pm

Reduce wax (cetearyl, candelila and beeswax) increase polyol ( glycerin) add another polyol ( PG  or BG)

• gordof

October 14, 2021 at 1:49 pm

you can although add some additives as Some Cellulose Types which helps with the transfer of the Waxes to the skin. Etocell is one I personally used. 

• bill_toge

October 14, 2021 at 6:05 pm
    candelilla wax and beeswax are very hard, high-friction materials; if you can get hold of castor wax / hydrogenated castor oil, add it at around 5%, drop the candelilla wax and beeswax, and increase your cetearyl alcohol to around 25% 
    the castor wax will gel the product and give it more thermal stability
    also, I’d remove Olivem 1000; as there’s no water in the formula it doesn’t serve any useful purpose