Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Niacinamide and efficacy /permeation/bioavailability, related to pH.

• Niacinamide and efficacy /permeation/bioavailability, related to pH.

Posted by graillotion on September 16, 2021 at 7:40 am

Can anyone provide a link to the effects pH has on niacinamide, as far as increasing or decreasing performance based on pH?  Especially looking at what may or may not happen, moving down below 6.0 and going into the upper 4’s.

Thank You.

Not looking for the typical question of can I take it there (I know I can)… Asking if performance / absorption / penetration / availability changes?

abdullah replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • abdullah

September 16, 2021 at 1:50 pm

There are patents that show they have niacinamide at pH 4 and below. You can check them.

• graillotion

September 16, 2021 at 7:10 pm

Abdullah said:

There are patents that show they have niacinamide at pH 4 and below. You can check them.

Thank you.  I currently use it at 4.8 pH w/o issue.  But that only tells me it is not disturbing the emulsion.  I was curious if was having a negative effect on availabiulity….at that 4.8 mark.  I know things start to happen at much lower pH, but that is not really a concern for my use.
    I think at the use rate I am using (2%), even a loss of 10% would be more than acceptable.

• abdullah

September 17, 2021 at 1:18 am

it is completely fine at low pH even with AHA pH <4.