Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Sustainable Mica versus Iron Oxide

Tagged: 

• Sustainable Mica versus Iron Oxide

Posted by Syl on August 31, 2021 at 2:50 pm

Does anyone know if there are differences between using sustainable Micas or Iron Oxides in terms of performance and sustainability? I am looking for fat-soluble color.

Thanks

PhilGeis replied 2 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • PhilGeis

August 31, 2021 at 4:40 pm

How is mica sustainable?

• Syl

August 31, 2021 at 7:53 pm

It is mined ethically, with no child labor.

• oldperry

August 31, 2021 at 7:58 pm

I’ve always thought “Sustainability” refers to it’s environmental impact.

What you are describing (ethically mined) would have no impact on the environment or on the product performance.

• PhilGeis

August 31, 2021 at 8:09 pm

And unless your putting mica back, it’s nor more sustainable than petroleum production.

I suppose we can think of this claim as puffery.  As typically used, “sustainable” is j.ust that

• pattsi

September 1, 2021 at 5:25 am

According to the United Nations (UN), a sustainable activity is one that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. The UN recognises three main spheres of sustainability:

1. Economic: sustainable economies for long term provision of wealth, research and development.
    2. Environmental: sustainable use of natural resources such as water, air, land and habitats.
    3. Societal: sustainable provision of education, equal rights, and communities.

I just copy&patse from Merck’s site.

Tho the original term would be responsible mica but now mostly use  sustainable mica.

I wouldn’t call it a claim, it’s more like a self-declaration for business agenda.

• PhilGeis

September 1, 2021 at 11:09 am

UN bureaucracy sticks its fingers in everything.

• oldperry

September 1, 2021 at 1:42 pm

@Pattsi - I’m a little confused. Does the definition allow you to be sustainable in one area but not others?

For example, could someone claim “sustainable petroleum” if they don’t use child labor to get it?

Because Mica is not really different than Petroleum in terms of availability for future generations.  

• Syl

September 1, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Than you

• pattsi

September 2, 2021 at 6:08 am

@Perry - In theory yes but in term of sustainability, it will be judged by consumers’ general perception as it is self-declared and UN has no penalties or anything.

From your example - They could use green technologies to extract and ship it in wooden ship and claim sustainable petroleum but there’s no merit in doing so as the perception of petroleum is unsustainable (and/or they don’t bother to care, petro rich countries have been invested in non-petro megaprojects past years).

As for Mica, it was focused on child labor in India so they came up with sustainable Mica, providing good opportunities for locals and then build their story from that.

For start-up who comes across this post, my humble little advice.
    Thing I learned from Danish chamber of commerce - sustainable products have promising opportunity in EU but if you fake it then you will be scrutinized harsh and dead.

PhilGeis said:

UN bureaucracy sticks its fingers in everything.

@PhilGeis - Yup tho UN has no real power or anything.

• PhilGeis

September 2, 2021 at 9:25 am

Claim is at best mislabeled - they could call it “blessed” with the same accuracy.  More importantly, how is it assured?  Is there a rip off org like EWG that extorts to condifrm?

Confident that brief UN description took years,  millions of dollars and extensive travel by authors to produce.
    EU, US and major nations generate their own policy and those are largely picked up by smaller nations if they bother, not UN’s.