Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Blending Preservatives and boosters

• Blending Preservatives and boosters

Posted by chaseerin7 on August 30, 2021 at 8:16 pm

Hello, I have started formulating skincare products on a
    small scale.  At this point, I only have
    the ability to purchase from redistributors like Formulators Sample Shop, Lotion
    Crafter, Making Cosmetics etc.  I have
    been trying a lot of different preservatives but would like to simplify my
    ingredient stock.

I am looking for guidance/resources on formaldehyde-free preservatives
    for products for sensitive skin…mainly o/w lotions & serums.  Most products are <5.5pH but I do have some formulas with Niacinamide w/pH around 6.1

I always use a chelator (typically Sodium Phytate / Dermofeel PA-3) and airless or UV protected containers.  I also tend to use Propanediol instead of Glycerin, is this helping as an additional booster?  

I have had good results with Euxyl PE 9010-but should I be adding additional boosters? i.e sodium
    benzoate or GMCY if working with plant-based extracts?Or should I be blending the PE9010 with another “broad spectrum” preservative blend? If so, how do I figure out the correct ratio/% of each preservative when mixing/blending in a formula?

I would like to move away from Phenoxyethanol
    but do not like the odor of benzyl alcohol. Any recommendations for
    preservatives that do not have a strong odor (i.e Geoguard ECT and Euxyl K903).
    I have had good results with Linatural Ultra 3, but I am struggling to meet the MQO at this
    stage.

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge…I have been
    trying for a while to find information to answer these questions without luck!

chaseerin7 replied 2 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.