Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Benzostat

• Benzostat

Posted by Fabfo on August 7, 2021 at 8:55 pm

Hi guys how are you doing? I’m new to formulating and I was wondering if the preservative Benzostat ( Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Benzyl Alcohol (and) Glycerin) is a good ‘natural’ preservative, is it compatible with surfactants, or anionic’s, is it  incompatible with any other cosmetic ingredients, and what is the probable shelf life of a product that uses this preservative? I was also wondering if you can make your own Benzoztat blend at home, I don’t think there are any 3rd party cosmetic supplier websites that sell it, and there is no point in buying a 25kg pail when I’m not even selling yet. I was able to find a sds that said the percentage of Benzyl Alcohol in the preservative was 71%, so 100-71 = 29% left over, I found another sds that said the range of Caprylhydroxamic Acid was 10-20%, and Glycerin 10-25%, so I’m guessing CHA is about 13-14% and glycerin 15-16%, now the question is how to mix them together, do i just add them in a bottle and call it a day or something else, thank you!

microformulation replied 2 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • microformulation

August 7, 2021 at 11:37 pm

In my experience, upheld by PET Testing, it is not a very robust preservation system. And that is with the commercial product, properly standardized.

• abdullah

August 8, 2021 at 12:31 am

You need to mix them then heat it until caprylhydroxamic acid is melted and dissolved and cool it and store it for later use. 
    Or you can use them in these percentages directly in your product. I use caprylhydroxamic acid first ingredient in one of my lotions which is cationic and i can’t use chelating agents to chelate iron

• Fabfo

August 8, 2021 at 7:46 pm

In my experience, upheld by PET Testing, it is not a very robust preservation system. And that is with the commercial product, properly standardized.

Thank you for the information, what other ‘natural’ preservative would you suggest or can you mix Benzostat with other preservation systems, which would be best?

• Fabfo

August 8, 2021 at 7:50 pm

Abdullah said:

You need to mix them then heat it until caprylhydroxamic acid is melted and dissolved and cool it and store it for later use. 
    Or you can use them in these percentages directly in your product. I use caprylhydroxamic acid first ingredient in one of my lotions which is cationic and i can’t use chelating agents to chelate iron

Thank you for your answer it was really helpful, based on your experiences do you think this preservative is good alone? 

• microformulation

August 9, 2021 at 12:17 am

First, “natural” is not a legally defined term. Rather than selecting your preservative on a monolithic standard rooted in marketing, first select an appropriate “Formula” specific preservative. There are many tried and true preservative systems that are effective and meet most raw material standards. Safety should trump marketing every time.

• abdullah

August 9, 2021 at 2:40 am

My product has phenoxyethanol, caprylhydroxamic acid, Piroctone Olamine and HCl. pH is 4.1 and cationic. And yes it works well. 

I dont like benzyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol is milder that that.
    Also caprylhydroxamic acid should be heated, in clod process system it remains undissolved. 

• PhilGeis

August 9, 2021 at 10:10 am

Amen,  Microformulation

Abdullah, Piroctone Olamine and HCl?   Your antidandruff active and pH adjustment, respectively?

• abdullah

August 9, 2021 at 3:01 pm

@PhilGeis yes it is anti dandruff leave in low viscosity hair lotion. 

• Fabfo

August 10, 2021 at 7:54 pm

First, “natural” is not a legally defined term. Rather than selecting your preservative on a monolithic standard rooted in marketing, first select an appropriate “Formula” specific preservative. There are many tried and true preservative systems that are effective and meet most raw material standards. Safety should trump marketing every time.

Sorry I’m late and thank you for your answer, my question now is which tried and true preservatives that work with most cosmetic ingredients would you suggest?

• Fabfo

August 10, 2021 at 7:55 pm

Abdullah said:

My product has phenoxyethanol, caprylhydroxamic acid, Piroctone Olamine and HCl. pH is 4.1 and cationic. And yes it works well. 

I dont like benzyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol is milder that that.
    Also caprylhydroxamic acid should be heated, in clod process system it remains undissolved. 

Thank you so much! 

• microformulation

August 10, 2021 at 10:59 pm
    @Fabfo It entirely depends on the Formula. You will not find a preservative that worked in every Formula. You need to look at each Formula and decide. The Organic acids are popular. Several companies such as Lincoln Manufacturing have numerous options. You WILL NOT learn everything you need to know about preservation in a blog such as this and you really need to dealve deep into the topic.