Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Supplier says sodium benzoate is incompatible with food colours

• Supplier says sodium benzoate is incompatible with food colours

Posted by Sincityfire on August 7, 2021 at 5:42 am

I bought some gluconolactone & sodium benzoate preservative(Gluconolactone ~70%, Sodium benzoate ~22%, Calcium gluconate ~1%), and in the information leaflet they provided, it says that this preservative is:
    not for use in products which contain food colours (due to undesirable chemical reaction which may convert the sodium benzoate to its acidic state (benzoic acid)
    - which is odd since I thought that was how the preservative worked and also food colours from the supermarket use sodium benzoate. Though they didn’t specify what kind of food colours.

So I’m confused, what does this mean? 
    Thanks!

Sincityfire replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • PhilGeis

August 7, 2021 at 12:09 pm

That is a poor preservative system and your supplier is profoundly ignorant.  Suggest you look for alternatives to  both.

Food colors have nothing to do with the acid salt equilibrium that is prmarily controlled by pH in cosmetic systems.

• Sincityfire

August 9, 2021 at 7:18 am

PhilGeis said:

That is a poor preservative system and your supplier is profoundly ignorant.  Suggest you look for alternatives to  both.

Food colors have nothing to do with the acid salt equilibrium that is prmarily controlled by pH in cosmetic systems.

Thanks Phil, I’m not sure how they got such bad quality information, which makes me wonder about the quality of their product, rest assured I won’t be using this ingredient as the sole preservative.