Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating For your review-face primer and suggestions?

• For your review-face primer and suggestions?

Posted by stanley on August 2, 2021 at 11:02 pm

I have a face primer for oily skin… any suggestions? I did notice I get a soaping effect.  What can i do about it?

Deionized
    Water (0.2 µm filtered)
    sepimax zen 0.400
    sodium
    hyaluronate
    propanediol 3.000
    sepimat H10 1.400
    botanessential
    olive S-EHO
    Lexfeel7 3.000
    cetaryl
    alcohol
    cetyl alcohol 2.000
    Montanov 82 3.000
    turmeric
    butter
    sweet almond
    oil
    octyl
    palmitate
    caprylic/capric
    triglyceride
    vitamin E 0.100
    Collagen 0.200
    Dermofeel
    PA-12
    flower
    extract
    orange flower 0.200
    spectrstat 1.000
    abdullah replied 2 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

August 5, 2021 at 10:49 pm

Add some light silicone. I would use D5, it works well for oily skin. Also check refractive index of your oils. I might be wrong but I recal CCT is high.

• stanley

August 6, 2021 at 3:08 pm

@ngarayeva001
    Thank you for the review!!!  Can’t use D5 -no silicones.. I did increase the amount of lexfeel and that did help.  What I am thinking is to use a silicone alternative that has the same viscosity as 250 or 350 st.

• pharma

August 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
    LexFeel N200 or N350? I never used these and can’t tell you anything you wouldn’t find online within 10 seconds… However, the silicone alternatives I tried do not considerably help with soaping. This is obvious due to the chemistry of silicones which simply can not be replicated with most non-silicone molecules (some might but they are usually non-cosmetic and fully petroleum base -> the latter doesn’t seem to bother you, the former should). Hence, removing/reducing the ingredient which causes soaping (must be the Montanov) is the easiest option. Simply increasing the oil phase can also help but that comes with possible drawbacks.
  • stanley

August 6, 2021 at 7:52 pm

@Pharma
    give with one hand and take with the other.  I was thinking the Montonav might be the culprit.  Do you recommend an emulsifier?

• pharma

August 7, 2021 at 8:19 pm
    That’s like asking: I have that boat, it tends to rock a bit, whatcha recommend?
    The answer could be ‘airplane carrier’ or ‘supertanker’ but maybe you would feel more at ease with a catamaran or stick with your current boat but sail on a lake instead of the open ocean. ;)
    Alkylpolyglucosides (part of the Montanovs) have a large space where they form liquid crystal structures (aka alpha gels) on the aqueous phase-oil phase-emulsifier triangular landscape called pseudoternary phase diagram. See random example HERE page 8, other landscapes look very different and my not contain all possible phases and mixed-type areas or such of complete emulsion failure.
    You can see that even minor changes of either of the three partners or their constituents might push you out of that area, possibly in one where the APGs do what they do second-best: foaming. Understanding emulsion types and your specific emulsion and its parts helps to guide you over that landscape to your target point. How you do that is impossible to predict just by looking at the products composition. However, with some well planned trials you could predict which adjustments are more or less likely to help.
    Three strategies I see (on aformentioned page, you’re most likely somewhere on the left side but aim for a lamellar pattern): Use less emulsifier, add low polarity oils at sufficient amounts, and/or add more liquid crystal promoters (by preference of the monoglyceride or sorbitan ester type -> if you’re still in the HLB age = a low HLB co-emulsifier).
  • abdullah

August 8, 2021 at 9:16 am

Add 2% glyceryl stearate or glyceryl oleate. This also help with soaping.