Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions Incorporating low concentrations of lipophilic ingredients into a hydrophilic base

• Incorporating low concentrations of lipophilic ingredients into a hydrophilic base

Posted by suswang8 on July 31, 2021 at 3:48 pm

Hi, all.
    I just read the following on Skinchakra:
    “Acacia gum enables you to incorporate low concentrations of lipophilic ingredients in a hydrophilic base without the need to use any emulsifier or solubilizer.”
    Does this sound plausible?  And, alternatively, does anyone know of any other  non-synthetic way to achieve the same outcome (i.e., other than through acacia gum)?

oldperry replied 2 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jemolian

August 2, 2021 at 12:40 am

Sclerotium
    Gum might be able to do that. 
  • Sylarana

August 2, 2021 at 2:39 pm

I’ve tried doing that. I found somewhere that 5% acacia gum can emulsify 1% of oil. Long story short, acacia gum I had wasn’t able to emulsify even 0.1% of CCT. I haven’t tried buying acacia gum from another repacker or using a different oil so I can’t be sure what my issue was.

• oldperry

August 2, 2021 at 3:11 pm

This may work in theory but in practice it likely won’t lead to much stability. But other associative thickeners may help suspend small amounts of lipophilic ingredients in aqueous systems. Things like Xanthan Gum, Cellulose thickeners, etc.

But you have to understand, the reason people use emulsifiers is because they work. They were invented to be superior solutions to problem of combining oils with water. You’re talking about going backwards in technology so you can’t expect that old technology will give you results anywhere close to what modern technology gives.

My question is why would you want to use an inferior technology for solving this problem?