Carbon black or FeO

Hey guys
I have a mascara formula that I use of FeO Cl 77499 in that as black color agent, but I haven't dark black color now.
I know that carbon black can help me in this issue but it's so harmful base on EWG.
In other side, I saw many mascaras that hadn't carbon black in Formulas.

What's your opinion?

Thank you in advance for your help

Comments

• AbbasMoAbbasMo Member
    PhilGeis said:
    Thanks a lot
    I have a question now, Do FeO containing mascaras have carbon black also?
    Could they not have reported this?
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    how much iron oxide (which is Fe3O4, strictly speaking) are you using?
    believe me, if you put enough of it in you can make your mascara very black indeed
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • AbbasMoAbbasMo Member
    Bill_Toge said:
    how much iron oxide (which is Fe3O4, strictly speaking) are you using?
    believe me, if you put enough of it in you can make your mascara very black indeed
    Hi
    I use 16% of Black Fe and 3% Brown Fe and 1% yellow Fe in my formulation.
    This color combination still did not provide me with the desired black.
  • ngarayeva001ngarayeva001 Member
    edited August 8
    Maybe the right solution is to stop relying on EWG? Seriously put EWG in search function of this forum and read what chemists say.
    you're best off using a dispersion rather than the dry powder; the powder needs to be milled very thoroughly to get the full depth of colour, and if you use a dispersion, the manufacturer will already have done the hard work
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • Maybe the right solution is to stop relying on EWG? Seriously put EWG in search function of this forum and read what chemists say.
    OK, Thanks, I want have safe products, only.
  • Bill_Toge said:
    you're best off using a dispersion rather than the dry powder; the powder needs to be milled very thoroughly to get the full depth of colour, and if you use a dispersion, the manufacturer will already have done the hard work
    Thanks, I can't understand your mean.
    What's dispersion procedure? Do we need a particular mean?
    AbbasMo said:
    Bill_Toge said:
    Thanks, I can't understand your mean.
    What's dispersion procedure? Do we need a particular mean?

what I'm saying is that you'd be better off buying a pre-prepared black iron oxide dispersion (e.g. OD75BJE from Kobo Chemicals) than trying to grind it yourself
  • I suggest that you rely on FDA or equivalent professional bodies around the globe, not EWG. Their ratings aren’t based on science. Moreover they are utterly inconsistent. 
  • I suggest that you rely on FDA or equivalent professional bodies around the globe, not EWG. Their ratings aren’t based on science. Moreover they are utterly inconsistent. 
    Thanks a lot