Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Magnolol As A Preservative In Skincare Formulations

Tagged: 

• Magnolol As A Preservative In Skincare Formulations

Posted by Magnolia2190 on July 20, 2021 at 8:26 pm

Hello!

I am a handcrafter and am looking for better ways to preserve my water-based products. I currently use Germall Plus as a preservative and I know it is good, but I’m hoping to find something less synthetic to please my customer base.

I have read on PubMed.Com that Magnolol (bioactive compound of Magnolia Oficinalis) is more effective than other floral extracts in reducing bacteria and also recently heard a guest presenter on one of Perry’s webinars talk about how Magnolol is gaining traction in the industry as a possiblilty for use as a preservative. That speaker stated it should not be used alone, but in conjunction with other anti-microbal ingredients. Can anyone speak to this and maybe suggest what other floral extracts could be used?

Thanks so much!

- Lisa

abdullah replied 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • pharma

July 20, 2021 at 8:59 pm

It’s already on the market for example Magnolia Extract 98 by Cosphaderm which containing mostly magnolol and honokiol. From what I’ve read, it seems strongest against mould. Back in the day I did bioguided fractionation during my semester break also screening different organs from different magnolia species. We found active principles but sadly, never got to the point of determining their structures. Although, we had the suspicion that it was in many cases magnolol and/or honokiol which killd the microbes (one was a multiresistent superbug which we, in hindsight, shouldn’t have handled the way we did… No worries, it didn’t do me any harm *cough-cough* 🙂 ).

• Magnolia2190

July 20, 2021 at 9:45 pm

Pharma, thank you so much for your quick reply and expertise, I am grateful. I will check out Magnolia Extract 98!

- Lisa

• helenhelen

July 20, 2021 at 10:13 pm

Look up MultiMEG as well.

• Magnolia2190

July 20, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Thank you, helenhelen :)

• abdullah

July 21, 2021 at 3:57 am

When i googled about Magnolia Oficinalis to purchase some and use as preservative there was written preserved with phenoxyethanol. 

• pharma

July 21, 2021 at 4:41 am

It’s a solid powder. Why add a preservative? Maybe you found the wrong one @Abdullah

• Magnolia2190

July 21, 2021 at 11:23 am

Abdullah, here is what I found at the Cosphaderm website:

https://cosphatec.com/en/stories/magnolia-extract-98-video-tutorial/

• abdullah

July 21, 2021 at 12:28 pm
  • abdullah

July 21, 2021 at 12:38 pm