Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Is it better to add dimethicone in cool down phase or in oil phase?

• Is it better to add dimethicone in cool down phase or in oil phase?

Posted by abdullah on July 8, 2021 at 7:55 am

Is it better to add %1-2 dimethicone in cool down phase when the temperature is low or in oil phase that will be heated in an emulsion?

abdullah replied 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • jemolian

July 8, 2021 at 9:43 am

If it doesn’t contain a volatile component, normally i add it into the heated oil phase if applicable. Sometimes they would have recommendations on processing guidelines on the tech sheet if any. 

• abdullah

July 8, 2021 at 10:32 am

jemolian said:

If it doesn’t contain a volatile component, normally i add it into the heated oil phase if applicable. Sometimes they would have recommendations on processing guidelines on the tech sheet if any. 

Thanks 
    I currently use dimethicone 5 cst at cool down phase and it work well. As adding it to oil phase would be easier i wanted to make sure that nonvolatile silicones are not heat sensitive. 

• abierose

July 8, 2021 at 4:22 pm

Abdullah said:

jemolian said:

Thanks 
    I currently use dimethicone 5 cst at cool down phase and it work well. As adding it to oil phase would be easier i wanted to make sure that nonvolatile silicones are not heat sensitive. 

I add mine at cool down as well (dimethicone 350) but I know I could add it to oil phase, however even the non-volatile silicones often have a max heat restriction. For example, according to Making Cosmetics, dimethicine 500 should not be heated past 125°F so I would need it in the cool down phase due to the heat requirements of most of my emulsifiers and waxes.

• ngarayeva001

July 9, 2021 at 6:09 am

Dimethicone 5 isn’t volatile. It can be heated and I always add it to heated oil phase. You can’t heat cyclomethicones (D5, D6), phenyl trimethicone, and anything that’s volatile (cetiol ultimate, isododecane etc). If you do, you will notice it starts steaming. It’s pretty obvious when it happens.

• ngarayeva001

July 9, 2021 at 6:10 am

@abierose, I don’t think they are right re dimethicone 500. It’s not too sensitive.

• abierose

July 9, 2021 at 8:18 am

@abierose, I don’t think they are right re dimethicone 500. It’s not too sensitive.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are not right about that…I’ve came across a few weird/incorrect pieces of information on their site in the past 🤭 And when I do, I come here and ask the experts! 😁

• abdullah

July 10, 2021 at 3:08 am

abierose said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are not right about that…I’ve came across a few weird/incorrect pieces of information on their site in the past 🤭 And when I do, I come here and ask the experts! 😁

Yeah, i was surprised when i saw in there website that SLS is milder than SLES.

• abdullah

July 10, 2021 at 3:09 am

Dimethicone 5 isn’t volatile. It can be heated and I always add it to heated oil phase. You can’t heat cyclomethicones (D5, D6), phenyl trimethicone, and anything that’s volatile (cetiol ultimate, isododecane etc). If you do, you will notice it starts steaming. It’s pretty obvious when it happens.

Thanks, that is very good to hear.