Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Lanolin that smells less of sheep?

Tagged: , , ,

• Lanolin that smells less of sheep?

Posted by zink on February 4, 2015 at 10:35 pm

I have some Lanolin from Libertynaturals, it’s nice but smells a fair bit, are there any (ideally available directly online) that are better suited for scent free formulation?

elaineb replied 9 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • belassi

February 5, 2015 at 5:40 am

If you could use a quat, then Quaternium-60 is based on lanolin. I use it to give split-end repair in our conditioner.

• Lara

February 5, 2015 at 5:44 am

Hey zink,

Sorry, but i think that sheep-derived lanolin will not be available odourless, as the ingredients contained have this inherent odour. As i read in the Internet some sientists are developing vegan ingredients that are chemically comparable. May be its possible to get one of this, or to use an ingredient with comparable properties.
    Another option would be to Cover the odour
  • zink

February 5, 2015 at 9:08 am

Maybe not odourless, but perhaps at different levels of refinement potentially removing volatile (smelly) compounds? 

There are companies selling “deodorized” lanolin: http://www.ulprospector.com/en/na/PersonalCare/Detail/3034/91705?st=10

And otherwise some people claim that hydrous lanolin smell less (1/3 water).

Guess I’ll have to sample a few different brands to find out :)
  • Lara

February 5, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I’ve also read abou the hydrolized lanolin, but the question that comes in my mind is the reactivity of the product. Does it have the Same properties? Do you need a higher amount?
    I can understand that there are perfumed products. The company i am working for is also into ‘malodor coverage’.
    But i just knew some other products that are covered.
    For the First time it works really well, but before testing you never Know what will happen when stored at increased temperatures.

• bobzchemist

February 5, 2015 at 7:52 pm
  • bobzchemist

February 5, 2015 at 7:52 pm
  • alam

February 7, 2015 at 7:40 am

Dear Zink,

The link which you have mentioned is perfect, it is Chinese company manufacture anhydrous lanolin deodorized. i have utilized their anhydrous lanolin & it has pretty less odor comparing to others.
  • zink

February 10, 2015 at 8:44 am

Bought Geritrex Lanolin Hydrous (72% Anhydrous Lanolin), and it doesn’t smell anything :)

• galina

February 10, 2015 at 10:23 pm

The odour of lanolin depend on the method of refining. Usually solvent processing leaves lanolin with more sweet odour. I suspect Chinese lanolin has been processed this way. Any true lanolin will have specific lanolin odour. There are many Lanolin derivatives that have no odour. For example, water-soluble PEG-75 Lanolin.

• elaineb

February 25, 2015 at 6:03 am

Just saw this as I was reading back threads. Croda is an excellent source of both lanolin and information about its uses. (I think they’re one of the oldest lanolin manufacturers in the world.) I sampled a few of their products some years ago, when I was still actively formulating, and I know the Pharmalan UPS and the one directly below it in the list, i.e. slighly less purified, were odorless, colorless, and absolutely lovely to work with. The smell and color of lanolin are entirely dependent on the amount of refining. The “sheepy” smell comes not from lanolin itself, but from the other ecretions that mix with the lanolin and make a very complex coating that protects the wool and the sheep’s skin.

• zink

February 25, 2015 at 7:29 am

Thanks Elaine! Useful info, btw, how much lanolin would you use in a daily moisturizer type formula?

• elaineb

February 25, 2015 at 7:42 am

Ah, I wasn’t using it in facial products, so I can’t give you any numbers off the top of my head. I was doing some heavy-duty hand moisturizing creams. The Croda formulary might be a place to look, though.