Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Anti-Dandruff and Basic Shampoo Critique

• Anti-Dandruff and Basic Shampoo Critique

Posted by lucioc on May 24, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Hi everyone my name is Lucio, I’m an Industrial Engineering Student from Argentina working on my final project. I have no chemical background and the topic assigned to me was simulate building a Shampoo and Conditioner  factory. The main purpose of the project isn’t focused on the chemical field, it’s more oriented to the process, despite of that, I need a basic and cheap formula for antidandruff shampoo and conditioner + basic and cheap formula for a shampoo and conditioner. I want to make clear that asking experts is allowed and part of the investigation.

With that said, this are the formulas that I could “create” reading this forum, internet and bottle ingredients. Any suggestion is welcome, remember I need basic formulas, the cheaper, the better.

In addition, if there is any resource where I can read about the production process is very welcome.

Thank you all in advance!

PhilGeis replied 2 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • lucioc

May 24, 2021 at 11:46 pm

I want to make a correction, in the shampoo it says EDTA two times.
    This is the correct formula:

• abdullah

May 25, 2021 at 1:33 am

That preservatives, what is the percentage of active preservative in them. They are allowed at 15ppm which is %0.0015 combined.

• PhilGeis

May 25, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Eliminate EDTA - you’ll screw up your ZPT.  As Abdullah said - preservatives are must too great in concentration and prob not the best choice as ZPT and isothiazolinones can be incompatible.   

• lucioc

May 25, 2021 at 1:25 pm

PhilGeis said:

Eliminate EDTA - you’ll screw up your ZPT.  As Abdullah said - preservatives are must too great in concentration and prob not the best choice as ZPT and isothiazolinones can be incompatible.   

Abdullah said:

That preservatives, what is the percentage of active preservative in them. They are allowed at 15ppm which is %0.0015 combined.

Thank you both for the feedback. 
    Do you think that replacing those preservatives for parabens at 0,1% will do it?  

• PhilGeis

May 25, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Nope.  Suggest benzoate and a formaldehyde releaser.  Also might look at Head & Shoulders.

• lucioc

May 25, 2021 at 6:17 pm

PhilGeis said:

Nope.  Suggest benzoate and a formaldehyde releaser.  Also might look at Head & Shoulders.

Great, gonna give it a try. 
    At what % do you suggest those?
    Forgot to ask before, when removing EDTA, should I add something else? or the formula still makes sense without it.

Thanks again for your feedback.

• PhilGeis

May 25, 2021 at 6:45 pm

Try 2500 of each.
    EDTA and other chelators will sequester Zn from ZPT.  ZPT is used as it it is substantive to the scalp where it inhibits Malassezia spp. fungi.  Soluble PT (Na) will not deposit - so efficacy.

• lucioc

May 25, 2021 at 8:52 pm

PhilGeis said:

Try 2500 of each.
    EDTA and other chelators will sequester Zn from ZPT.  ZPT is used as it it is substantive to the scalp where it inhibits Malassezia spp. fungi.  Soluble PT (Na) will not deposit - so efficacy.

Great. Very useful information.
    One last question:

I’m trying to find info about cheap nutritive ingredients for shampoos and conditioner, could you please suggest any?

• PhilGeis

May 25, 2021 at 8:58 pm

no can’t help with that

btw - meant NO efficacy with soluble PT

• abdullah

May 26, 2021 at 12:12 am

I Suggest you first make simple shampoo, then dandruff shampoo

• EVchem

May 26, 2021 at 1:36 pm

@lucioc do you actually need to produce these formulas or just have something on paper to get a formula cost? UL prospector has tons of free formulas like this  but you have to register

• lucioc

May 26, 2021 at 1:48 pm

EVchem said:

@lucioc do you actually need to produce these formulas or just have something on paper to get a formula cost? UL prospector has tons of free formulas like this  but you have to register

I don’t really need to produce it, but all the proccess, machines used, machines manteinance, capacities, raw material costs, etc. have to be specified on paper. It has to be as real as possible, but it won’t matter if, for example, using a bit more or less of glycerin will make the Shampoo divide, it’s anecdotal.

My main goal was to know if the formula made sense, or if there was something that at simple sight was definitely wrong.

Thanks for your feedback.

• amitvedakar

May 27, 2021 at 10:32 am

For Anti dandruff effect the percent req. is 1 to 2%. of ZPT. This material normally comes  50% active.    

• PhilGeis

May 27, 2021 at 12:54 pm

QC micro should be on your ZPT spec.