Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Ammonium lauryl sulfate vs stainless steel

• Ammonium lauryl sulfate vs stainless steel

Posted by abdullah on May 20, 2021 at 8:33 am

I want to use ammonium laureth sulfate and ammonium lauryl sulfate instead of SLES in our Shampoo. I have seen some posts here people saying that ALES reacts with stainless steel. As our mixer is stainless steel i want to know what reaction would happen and how does it effect the Shampoo or the stainless steel mixer? 

abdullah replied 2 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • doctorbrenda

May 21, 2021 at 10:59 am

I am very curious about that too, but would include other cosmetic ingredients or chemicals.  I also use stainless steel vessels for making emulsions (so there is a lot of heating and lengthy mixing).  I have been trying to find answers about possible reactions with stainless steel vessels when making emulsions.  I wasn’t able to find any consistent, reliable information to address that question.

• singhc10

May 21, 2021 at 1:59 pm

Worked with ALS and ALES, never encountered this problem. Here is the Stainless steel compatibility chart https://rexel-cdn.com/Products/70D217C4-A2DA-4789-8D40-1BF37DC74F93/70D217C4-A2DA-4789-8D40-1BF37DC74F93.pdf

• singhc10

May 21, 2021 at 2:43 pm

Storage of water based product for long time in stainless steel will cause corrosion, I work with steel and aluminum aerosol cans

• abdullah

May 21, 2021 at 3:00 pm

@singhc10 thanks a lot 
    Appreciated

Can you tell me at what percentage maximum did you use these surfactants in stainless steel and how much contact time maximum? 

• microformulation

May 21, 2021 at 4:26 pm

You need to look at the GRADES of SS used or research attentuation. With these measures, it is really a non-issue for the most part.

• singhc10

May 21, 2021 at 4:31 pm

ALS/ALES are harsher than SLS/SLES, we mainly use ALS/ALES in industrial products, while SLS/SLES in hair shampoo. For hair shampoo , try them between 5-7% (100%active). It will take time, for aerosol cans it takes about a month. For production tanks, maybe 3 months or never.

• abdullah

May 24, 2021 at 1:12 am

@Microformulation thanks a lot

• abdullah

May 24, 2021 at 1:17 am

@singhc10 that is interesting. I thought ALS/ALES would be milder than SLS/SLES.

Is ALS/ALES theoretically harsher than SLS/SLES or just in your experience?