Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating scalp care shampoo

• scalp care shampoo

Posted by twokchu on May 6, 2021 at 2:03 am
    I am looking for a scalp care shampoo that helps to prevent hair loss and suitable to use during post natal.
    One of the ingredients are Tumeric and olive oil extract.
    But please suggest other active ingredients that can help prevent hair loss or support hair growth. 
    Thank you 🙏

I am also going to use SLES 15% and Cocoamidopropyl Betaine 10% as surfactant, 
    I found some Scalp Deep Cleansing Shampoo using  Sodium Laureth sulfate, and Ammonium Laurylsulfate, SLES or SLS is better?

oldperry replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • oldperry

May 6, 2021 at 12:30 pm

The only thing that has been proven to prevent hair loss (in some people) is minoxidil. Tumeric and olive oil extract have not been proven to work.

So, it’s difficult to suggest active ingredients because there isn’t anything proven to work. If you are willing to use things that people say work or have been traditionally used then there are lots of things like peppermint extract, henna, honey, etc. None of these actually work.

As far as your surfactants, SLES may be a bit more gentle. SLS may clean better and give more foaming.

• twokchu

May 7, 2021 at 1:29 am

Thanks @Perry 
    Do you know any information about this ingredient Evnol 50% ( tocotrienols )?
    it is Potent forms of vitamins E that are considered stable and powerful antioxidants, as well as skin-soothing agents. These forms of vitamin E are usually derived from rice bran or wheat germ.

• oldperry

May 7, 2021 at 2:13 am

@twokchu - A quick Internet search shows that the ingredient is a food supplement.  These products are pretty much unregulated and they should not be considered quality products that you would use in a formula. Anyone can put anything in a bottle and call it whatever kind of food supplement they want.

In fact, the FDA has found that the majority of food supplements do not contain what they claim.  

I recommend you avoid food supplements.  You certainly shouldn’t formulate with them.