Ease of combing the hair??

Hello everyone,

I'm working on some shampoo formulations but I could not provide ease of combing the hair. Do you have any suggestions about this problem?

There are chemicals which is used in formulations:

*Polyquertenium-10
*Cocoamidopropyl Betaine 
*Sodium Laureth Sulfate   
*PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (and) PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate (and)     PEG/PPG-120/10 Trimethylolpropane Trioleate (and) Glycerin (mix)
*Glycol Disterate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA (mix) 

Thank you  :)

Comments

• combination of ingredients is fine, probably something is wrong with %
  • filizfiliz Member
    Ah thanks @ngarayeva001

How many % should I use polyquertenium-10 ?
  • polyquaternium-10 inci includes a variety of different products. some are more cationic than others, so there is no simple answer.
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    edited April 27
    for shampoos you only need 0.1 - 0.2% for high molecular weight grades of PQ10
    the order of addition is also a critical detail; you need to add cationics first, followed by amphoterics, followed by anionics
    adding them out of order results in the formation of gummy insoluble ineffective salts
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • @Bill_Toge EDTA is also anionic and not compatible with cationic surfactants. So how does that effect PQ10? 
  • JOJO91343JOJO91343 Member
    You may try to change the surfactant system in a small lab batch and keep pH in the acidic range (4.5 - 5.0) for better cleansing and better hair conditioning (Try first on volunteers from different ethnic background because this pH range may not be suitable for all of them in case if some of them used to have hair loss on periodical bases.  They may need to treat their hair loss first):
    Lauroyl / Myristoyl Methyl Glucamide (Co-emulsifier): 14%
    Cocobetaine (Amphoteric): 14%
    Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate: 7%
    The pH range and The Surfactants Ratio shouldn't cause any hair loss, but, if the people were experiencing Hair Loss before applying your formula and they didn't notice it, they may think that your formula is the reason for their Hair Loss)
    Good Luck

• StanleyStanley Member
    To whom is your products directed to?