Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Neutralizing polyacrylate-2 crosspolymer

• Neutralizing polyacrylate-2 crosspolymer

Posted by Newtoformulating on April 15, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Hello. Is there a standard when neutralizing the Fixate Superhold polymer? I’m using 5% Fixate in my formula and .5% AMP-ULTRA to neutralize the Fixate. None of my other ingredients need neutralizing. I’m wondering is that too much AMP-ULTRA for that amount of Fixate. The final ph of the product is 6. ( using ph paper strips) so I’m not 100% that the ph is reading accurate because when the batch is complete it is stringy like mozzarella cheese when I try to get some from the jar. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Newtoformulating replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ozgirl

April 16, 2021 at 12:18 am
    You need to get a pH meter. Trying to use any type of polymer where neutralization is required really needs a pH meter. pH paper strips are not accurate enough for this type of material.
    Try reducing the amount of Fixate Superhold polymer to see if this reduces the stringy effect.
  • Newtoformulating

April 16, 2021 at 12:33 am

@ozgirl I thought the same thing to reduce the Fixate. What ph meter would you recommend because the ones I have purchased are not compatible with putting it in the final product. Any with a metal probe that you can recommend for easier cleaning?