Olivem 1000 - Not Dissolving!

Hi everyone,

I am having some issues melting Olivem 1000 and hoping someone can help shed some light on what else I can try.

Below is a photo of what I mean by not melting. I have tiered back my recipe completely and all I am trying to do now is successfully melt Olivem 1000 in sunflower oil. I have tried 3-6% Olivem 1000 to 25% sunflower oil at multiple water bath temperatures (70-85C) and durations (20m-60m). Tried stirring and not stirring but nothing seems to make much difference. If I emulsify with water without the emulsifier fully melting the texture is somewhat lumpy. I have checked with my supplier and they are equally confused.

Has anyone encountered this problem? 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    Have you measured the temperature of the oil itself?  It might also help if you stir it as you are heating ... there is no obvious reason why Olivem 1000 would not melt completely in the 70C to 80C range ... unless it's not really Olivem 1000
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • Have you measured the temperature of the oil itself?  It might also help if you stir it as you are heating ... there is no obvious reason why Olivem 1000 would not melt completely in the 70C to 80C range ... unless it's not really Olivem 1000

As Mark mentioned, measure the temperature of the oil itself not the water in the bath.
    Sometimes I when did real quick DIYing, I put the beaker in microwave for 45-50 sec. bring it up to 80-85C and then stir it for a bit.
    Olivem 1000 should melt easily, unless there's somethings wrong with it. 
  • Thanks Mark and Pattsi, really appreciate your help.
    I measured the temperature of the oil itself and at 75C, Olivem 1000 melted without problems. Water bath was at 85C to achieve this. Can’t believe I didn’t think of this earlier, such a simple solution! Thanks again!