Dishwashing Liquid

edited March 17 in Formulating
Hey Guys! 

I discovered this website through a google search and wondered if you could help me?

I've had experience formulating moisturisers and sanitisers but I've now been asked to formulate a dishwashing liquid. 

I've been given a list of acceptable chemicals and from those have come up with the following formulation:

Ingredient                                               %W/W
Water61.99
Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulphate (70%)13.9
Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulphate (30%)5.51
Glucopon 425 (60%)6
Cocoamidopropyl Betaine (30%)2
Dimethyl Lauramine Oxide (30%)4
Ethanol3
Citric Acid0.5
Sodium Chloride1
Sodium Benzoate1
Colour1
Fragrance0.1

I'm not sure how well this would work, and whether I would have trouble with blending any of the ingredients if it does work.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    Happi (Household and Personal Product Industry) magazine includes product formulae - check back issues.   (https://www.happi.com/issues/2021-03-01/).
    Re. above - what pH and why benzoate?  You'll prob need a preservative but these products are usually alkaline in pH (8-9) so benzoate is not useful in that context.  Most use isothiazolinones.
  • Hey! I was planning on the pH being 8-9 but the only preservative on my list was Bronopol  which I believe also has a better activity in the lower pH ranges. I also found  during my research that Bronopol loses stability at pH 4 & above. My only reasoning for adding Benzoate was the choice between the two but perhaps I can leave it out all together. Still doesn't solve my preservative problem with restricted ingredients however. 
    You can't use isothiazolinones preservatives?  these are the most commonly used in such products - methyl- and benzo-.
  • No, unfortunately I was given a very specifc list with the instructions to make a dishwashing liquid. The only preservatives on that list were Sodium Benzoate and Bronopol. I would definitely have tended towards isothiazloninones if they were listed. 

I think it's more of a test to see what I come up with and whether I can pick up a branch of chemistry that's not my current area. 
    edited March 18
    Bronopol - an odd demand.   In US, dishwash liquid preservatives are regulated by EPA and must be registered pesticides.   Think Bronopol may be regist'd but not sure for food contact.  https://archive.epa.gov/pesticides/reregistration/web/pdf/2770fact.pdf
    Benozic acid - think Eemerald Kemala may be selling a registered Benzoic acid but pretty sure it's enough a preservative here.