Solubilizing tocopherol and ferulic acid

How can I (or what can I use to) solubilize 1% tocopherol in a water-based serum?

How can I (or what can I use to) solubilize 0.5% ferulic acid in a water-based serum?

What if I want to use both in the same formula?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi, can someone please help?
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    edited March 2021
    Likely you are not getting an answer since these are fairly broad topics AND they are really Fundamentals you should be educating yourself on, For example, in this case;
    • Tocopherol is not water soluble (although there are some forms altered to be so, but rarely used due to issues with PEG's. Solubulization is a huge topic which you will gain a great deal of benefit from studying formally. For example, the Gold standard is polysorbates. Does this meet your raw material standard? ()
    • There are numerous discussions regarding Ferulic acid. When you read these, you will likely learn of the L'Oreal patent for using Ferulic acid to stabilize L-Ascorbic acid.
    Again, I am just suggesting that you delve deeper into these topics and read all you can. We could just give spot-on answers, but here I fall into the "give a man a fish..." outlook.

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • PharmaPharma Member, Pharmacist
    @Microformulation I couldn't have said it better :wink: .
  • Likely you are not getting an answer since these are fairly broad topics AND they are really Fundamentals you should be educating yourself on, For example, in this case;
    • Tocopherol is not water soluble (although there are some forms altered to be so, but rarely used due to issues with PEG's. Solubulization is a huge topic which you will gain a great deal of benefit from studying formally. For example, the Gold standard is polysorbates. Does this meet your raw material standard? ()
    • There are numerous discussions regarding Ferulic acid. When you read these, you will likely learn of the L'Oreal patent for using Ferulic acid to stabilize L-Ascorbic acid.
    Again, I am just suggesting that you delve deeper into these topics and read all you can. We could just give spot-on answers, but here I fall into the "give a man a fish..." outlook.

Thank you for your response!