Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating thickening a solution with PG, propandiol or Glycerine

• thickening a solution with PG, propandiol or Glycerine

Posted by Michelle76 on March 2, 2021 at 9:24 am

Hi, what can I use to thicken a solution with a high concentration of glycols (20-30%)? I cannot use cellulose based thickeners. I don’t have a specific formula yet but it is going to be based on surfactants such as glucosides and  sodium laurel sarcosinate, natural preservatives, sodium citrate. I have already tried xanthum  gum but after a day the solution lost all the viscosity. It is for cleaning products with enzymes, which are are another problem because they can be active on the thickener. I know it is not the topic of the forum but maybe someone can help. :)  any suggestion will be really appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

pharma replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • pharma

March 2, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Ethylcellulose and some polyacrylates (carbomers and especially acrylate/alkyl acrylate crosspolymers) should work. The former is more ‘natural’ but may be susceptible to degradation by cellulases (should you add those particular enzymes to your product).