tocopheryl acetate

Hi, i'm sorry if the question is stupid but:
Tocopheryl acetate is insoluble in cold water but soluble in hot water. If i inserit it in a simple hyaluronic gel serum without lipidic phase, it will separate from the serum after a period?

thank you very much
Tagged:

Comments

• Yes.
  • Yes, you would need to solubilize the Vit E first. 
  • And can i solubilize it simply in hot water?
  • Nope, I think you don't solubilize it in hot water, maybe only disperse? (I'd watch the temperature also, as vit. E is heat sensitive and oxidizes when exposed to high temperatures). Use something like Polysorbate 20, Caprylyl/Capryl glucoside or so. 
  • i’ll try with them.

glycerin can’t solubilize it? however i’m still reading that acetate form of vit E is hot water soluble. don’t you agree with it?

• No, Glycerin doesn't work as solubiliser. Solubiliser is basically liquid surfactant with very high +15 HLB. Glycerin is not a surfactant. 

Could you maybe share where you're getting the information from? 
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    Tocopheryl acetate is insoluble in water, regardless of temperature. Glycerin would not solubulize it into an aqueous base. There are numerous credible references to find this information.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • Paprik said:
    No, Glycerin doesn't work as solubiliser. Solubiliser is basically liquid surfactant with very high +15 HLB. Glycerin is not a surfactant. 

Could you maybe share where you're getting the information from? 
    i’m watching it in several italian sites and also a cosmetologist said it to me!  :'(
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist

markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    @p89:

Tocopheryl Acetate is a rather useless ingredient ... it does not perform well as an antioxidant and has only a 6% conversion rate when applied to the skin.  Unless you want it for label appeal, there is no benefit to adding it to your formulation.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals & Clean Beauty arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program/Clean At Sephora/Credo Clean guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • It's moreover for label. i think that i'll solve with polygliceryl 4 caprate