Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Color and makeup Adding spread ability to foundation

• Adding spread ability to foundation

Posted by Chris on November 25, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Hi I’m just wanting to ask if there is a silicone that can be added to a pre existing tinted moisturizer to give it better spread ability ? As it contains water I’m gathering that there would be a certain one. Is there any advise you could give?

bobzchemist replied 9 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • chemist77

November 25, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Chris without knowing the formulation ing it is difficult to comment though u can try peg12 dimethicone

• oldperry

November 27, 2013 at 8:02 am

If the formula has water you can try adding a Dimethicone Copolyol.

• microformulation

November 27, 2013 at 9:29 am

I would have to look at the formula. It could be pretty straight-forward. Of course, you would need to ensure that any additions do not destabilize the Formulation. Stability testing would be highly recommended.

• Chris

December 1, 2013 at 7:04 am

Ingredients are Water, glycerine, aloe Vera, vege wax, Shea butter, stearic acid, jojoba oil, macadamia oil, apricot kernel oil, rosehip oil, evening primrose, vitamin e, zinc oxide. I hope this helps with additive advise for improved slip. Thankyou

• chemist77

December 1, 2013 at 7:20 am

Try what Perry has suggested, should work. If not then try the ethoxylated silicone that I suggested. But my recommendation might drop the viscosity a bit so be careful. 

• Anonymous

February 13, 2014 at 8:52 am

Hello Perry, what is the function of dimethicone copolyol??

• bobzchemist

February 15, 2014 at 6:49 am

@lotachi, please start a new discussion if you have a question.

• Chris

April 22, 2014 at 7:42 pm

We have now turned this moisturiser into a liquid foundation by adding a mineral powder foundation to the moisturiser above. The problem that w are having is that the water is separating after a while . Why would this be happening? The mineral powder ingredients are Serecite Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Rice Powder, Magnesium Myristate, Kaolin Clay, Boron Nitride, Mica, Iron Oxides, May contain Ultramarine Blue

• bobzchemist

April 22, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Viscosity and suspendability are two different things. Without something to suspend them. pigments will prove that gravity works by settling out and breaking your emulsion in the process.

If you look up formula’s for liquid foundations, you should get some ideas.
  • bobzchemist

April 22, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Viscosity and suspendability are two different things. Without something to suspend them. pigments will prove that gravity works by settling out and breaking your emulsion in the process.

If you look up formula’s for liquid foundations, you should get some ideas.