Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Mixing Silicone and Oil

• Mixing Silicone and Oil

Posted by ajw000 on January 17, 2021 at 10:16 pm

I am trying to create a hair serum (heat protectant, anti frizz, and straightening) and adding Keratin as an additive to it. The problem is that this Keratin seems to be more like an oil in the Serum and will not blend in. 

What can I do to keep this from separating? 

Ingredients: 

Cyclomethicone
    Dimethicone
    Isododecane
    c12-15 Alkyl Benzoate
    Keratin 
    ajw000 replied 3 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • bill_toge

January 18, 2021 at 7:19 pm

my guess is that the keratin you’re using is a solution in water, which is why it’s not mixing in; what you need to do is find an oil-dispersible form of keratin

• ajw000

January 22, 2021 at 2:50 am

Thanks @Bill_Toge

I’ve been trying to figure out how I see other silicone based serums with oils in their ingredients. How do they do this and get it to emulsify? I’ve tried other oils like Jojoba, castor, apricot, etc. They all separate from the silicone. 

• pattsi

January 22, 2021 at 10:10 am

Have you checked your c12-15 Alkyl Benzoate compatibility with cyclomethicone/dimethicone?
    How much 
    c12-15 Alkyl Benzoate are you using? Is it too much to solubilize in Isododecane? 

• ajw000

January 22, 2021 at 1:00 pm

@Pattsi

I don’t have an issue with C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate solubizing in Isododecane, the issue is any oils I add separate from the serum. Example: with Jojoba, there will be a golden film at the top after it sits for an hour or so, by the color I know it’s not the C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate.

c12-15 currently at 10%

• pattsi

January 24, 2021 at 6:11 am

Is it too much to solubilize in Isododecane? 

• ajw000

January 26, 2021 at 2:36 am

@pattsi - Too much .. C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate? It doesn’t seem to have any issues, just the oils separate and float to the top.