Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating microfoam on hand sanitizer

• microfoam on hand sanitizer

Posted by vhogiono on January 9, 2021 at 10:04 am

Hi fellow chemist, I have problem about making simple hand sanitizer. The texture of the gel, clarity, and aroma is good. However when I rub it on the hand, it forms micro foam which is not pleasant at all. Eventually when totally dries, the micro foam is gone, but still the micro foam is a problem.

Here is the formula:
    To 100 Purified Water
    70.0 Ethanol
    0.2 Carbopol 980
    0.2 Fragrance Oil
    TEA (only 4 drops)

My method is to combine first the carbopol with water until it is transparent, then I add TEA to thicken it. Then I add the ethanol slowly until everything is mixed properly and turn to light gel consistenty. I add Fragrance oil in the last step.

Do you have any idea what cause the micro foam? I thought at first 60% ethanol is not enough, so I changed to 70% hoping that the foam will not form. But still at 70% the micro foam is very visible. My benchmark product has the same ingredients, although the composition may differ.

Thank you so much and hope to get your insight about this problem.
    Regards,
    Vincent

chemicalmatt replied 3 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Andraous

January 10, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Try carbopol 21

• Andraous

January 10, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Andraous said:

Try carbopol 21@ 0.3%

• vhogiono

January 13, 2021 at 10:05 am

Hi @Andraous . Thanks for your insight. I did right away trying what you suggest which is using other carbomer.

I tried Carbopol Ultrez 20, with same formula and input rate. However it turns out to form microfoam even more. It is even more unpleasant.

Do you think think Ultrez 21 will be different? Sorry I cannot find ultrez 21 in my region, thats why i decided to try ultrez 20.

Thanks so much 

• chemicalmatt

January 13, 2021 at 1:54 pm

Better yet, use RapidGel EZ-1 (3V Sigma). It drops right in, no pilling, no foaming, no problem. 

• vhogiono

January 19, 2021 at 9:09 am

@chemicalmatt i cannot source that in my region.. carbopol series available in my area are 980, 940, 990, ultrez20, ultrez21. Maybe i can get more if I contact directly to the factory, but it is impossible as I cannot afford to buy big quantities at this stage

• chemicalmatt

January 19, 2021 at 7:46 pm

@vhogiono  In that case, use Ultrez-21, its  the best for that application. Your “microfoam” can only be originating from the fragrance BTW. It must have a surfactant solvent/fixative.