Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions Homogenizer Question

• Homogenizer Question

Posted by minniemouse on January 2, 2021 at 9:18 pm

Hello guys , I wanted to know if you guys can give me some advice of a homogenizer I am looking into. [Power: 185W , Voltage: 110V 50Hz] to use for this purpose. To give some insight, this is what I wrote in my last post..

Hello, I need some advice on how to grind cosmetic iron oxide pigments and titanium dioxide to be incorporated into premade nail polish suspension bases. The problem I’m having is that my pigments are not grinding down fine enough to mix properly into the suspension base, and they end up separating. I tried a coffee grinder, grinding by hand with a mortar and pestle, and I’m sure it’s not my suspension base since it has a thicker viscosity. I see people using 95% - 99.9% isopropyl alcohol to grind down the pigment. However I’m worried about the water content of the isopropyl alcohol and its effect in the premade base formula. Is that recommended? Wouldn’t the water content in the isopropyl alcohol mess with the formula? What would you guys suggest to grind down the pigments? 

My question now:

Now as you can see, I wanted to grind down the powder pigments, but it has been impossible, and I was looking if somehow a homogenizer might be able to break down my pigments fine enough into an already made suspension base. Will buying a homogenizer be a smart choice or a waste of time if I do this?  I know people suggested to use the pigments in liquid form, but I like the convenience of using the powder pigments in making the colors. 

minniemouse replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • pattsi

January 3, 2021 at 8:10 am

How about a three roll mill?

• Benz3ne

January 4, 2021 at 4:33 pm

Pattsi said:

How about a three roll mill?

A mill would be my suggestion also for grinding hard metal oxide pigments.
    That, or buying more suitable particle size ingredients from source.

• chemicalmatt

January 4, 2021 at 9:47 pm

A high-speed/high-sheer liquid rotor-stator homogenizer will help, but using micronized pigments will help even more as @Benz3ne suggests.

• minniemouse

January 18, 2021 at 7:06 pm

Ok thank you guys