Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating pH options for (Face) cream with Niacinamide.

• pH options for (Face) cream with Niacinamide.

Posted by graillotion on December 29, 2020 at 10:16 pm

I can not seem to get the same answer twice on what pH is acceptable for a cream containing 2% Niacinamide (USP grade: C6H5NO2).  Most of the repackers are suggesting staying around 6.0.  For preservation reasons….I would like to be lower than that.

I have an option to pay a LOT more for Niacinamide (PC grade: C6H6N2O), which I understand is more forgiving of lower pH’s.

But of course I would prefer to use the cheaper USP grade, if I can take 2% inclusion down to the 4.8-5.1 pH range?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Andraous replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Bo77

December 29, 2020 at 10:47 pm

Around 5 is  fine. No problem. My face creams always come around 4.8 to 5.5. Never had any issues with regular niacinamide. I don’t remember who but some known company formulate some creams with B3 and their pH  is high 4 low 5. They wrote about it. And Paula’s choice is going even lower, I think. But that would be pushing it, probably. Try it and you’ll see, right?:-) 

• jemolian

December 30, 2020 at 1:02 am

pH 6 is the based on one of the recommendations i’ve seen, however recommended pH range varies from pH 5 to 7.5 based on different sources. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqauq2uleybsrp9/RonaCare_Nicotinamide_TDS_.pdf?dl=0

Using Niacinamide in an acidic formulation

• graillotion

December 30, 2020 at 1:24 am

Bo77 said:

Around 5 is  fine. No problem. My face creams always come around 4.8 to 5.5. Never had any issues with regular niacinamide. I don’t remember who but some known company formulate some creams with B3 and their pH  is high 4 low 5. They wrote about it. And Paula’s choice is going even lower, I think. But that would be pushing it, probably. Try it and you’ll see, right?:-) 

Yes I am well aware of this.  However I always assumed when they were going into the lower ranges…there were using C6H6N2O, which can go there without issue.  Unfortunately… Both forms have the exact same INCI…so one can never know!

• graillotion

December 30, 2020 at 1:41 am

jemolian said:

pH 6 is the based on one of the recommendations i’ve seen, however recommended pH range varies from pH 5 to 7.5 based on different sources. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqauq2uleybsrp9/RonaCare_Nicotinamide_TDS_.pdf?dl=0

Using Niacinamide in an acidic formulation

Thank You.

You always have such helpful links and graphs!

If I can take things to 5.0…I will have a vast array of products to help in preservation!

• Andraous

January 1, 2021 at 3:43 pm

You have to read the TDS of the preservative you will used. To. Make sure in which PH can be effective