Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Carbomer 940 compatibility with SLS in shampoo

• Carbomer 940 compatibility with SLS in shampoo

Posted by Hamaadali008 on December 8, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Greetings,
                   I wanted to know if Carbomer 940 is compatible with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, if it is then how should is use it in shampoo? Should i make carbomer gel or is there some other method? 
                                                                                                              Thanks         

Benz3ne replied 3 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • belassi

December 8, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Not worth wasting your time and materials. Besides, SLS thickens with electrolytes.

• fekher

December 9, 2020 at 10:06 am

@Hamaadali008 you can use carbomer for that but it needs expertise because carbomer is very sensitive with electrolyte so you need to know the adequat amount for each ingredient to do the job, however SLS is ingredient easy to thick with other ingredients as slat. 

• Benz3ne

December 9, 2020 at 3:26 pm

I think Carbopol SF-1 does a decent enough job of thickening in the presence of surfactants, off the top of my head. Might be worth trying that.
    As @Fekher mentions, surfactant systems can be thickened with NaCl so it’d be worth looking into that.

• chemicalmatt

December 9, 2020 at 3:42 pm

You may thicken and stabilize SLS/SLES and other shampoos with Synthalen W400 or W2000 from 3V Sigma also, and these do not require the back-acid build as does Lubrizol’s Carbopol SF-1. Jus’ sayin’

• Benz3ne

December 10, 2020 at 8:25 am

You may thicken and stabilize SLS/SLES and other shampoos with Synthalen W400 or W2000 from 3V Sigma also, and these do not require the back-acid build as does Lubrizol’s Carbopol SF-1. Jus’ sayin’

Good point well made.
    Have also had reasonable success with Aculyn 88, but admittedly haven’t done much with it yet.