Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Non- “non-ionic” Surfactants in Skin Care?

• Non- “non-ionic” Surfactants in Skin Care?

Posted by MarkHkang on January 16, 2015 at 9:38 am

Hello,

Does anyone know of the characteristic difference it would make if you used either cationic or anionic surfactants in cream or lotion emulsion products instead of non-ionic surfactants? 
    Couple of weeks ago I read this article (see the link below) and it talks about the sensory characteristics cationic surfactants would give, such as silky  powdery kind of after feeling. So I have started noticing that there are indeed companies who use cationic surfactants as their primary surfactants in emulsion. For example, Aveeno uses Distearyldimonium Chloride and so on. By the way it does kind of give you powdery feeling afterwards. 
    So going back to my question, what about the anionic surfactants? 

I wonder if anyone knows what happens when i use anionic surfactants in skin care emulsion products. I have learned that both cationic and anionic surfactants could be more irritating and they are preferred not to be used, but there are products in the market where they use non-nonionic surfactants so i am curious. 

Thank you everybody for taking your precious time reading this post :)

Best regards,

Mark

MarkHkang replied 9 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.