Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Ingredients that reduces sticky tacky feeling in serum

Tagged: 

• Ingredients that reduces sticky tacky feeling in serum

Posted by Juliatrudie on November 14, 2020 at 11:48 pm

Hello, 

So I’m looking for an ingredient like UCON-75-H-450 or PEG/PGG 17-6-Copolymer as this ingredient helps reduce the sticky tacky feeling in end products of serums etc. I can’t find the ingredient anywhere in the quality I need it(its only sold in bulk) so I’m looking for alternatives! 

Thank you so so much! 

Cst4Ms4Tmps4 replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • suswang8

November 15, 2020 at 7:02 am

I am a total newbie, but I am betting the pros on here will first want to know what exactly is in your formula (and specifically what could be causing the stickiness)?  

• Cst4Ms4Tmps4

November 21, 2020 at 7:17 am

@Juliatrudie

Yes. It is difficult to get help without knowing what is in your national secret if it is formula specific.

But I think this topic could be answered, easily, without knowing what is in there.

Generally, oily stuff are not sticky and can mitigate tackiness. Not necessary oil as in things named with ‘oil’. Can be solid substances such as Cetyl Alcohol, some butters, some esters, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, stuff with benzene ring.

Generally, it is the watery stuff that are sticky due to hydrogen bonding. They stop being sticky when they are at a certain (high) concentration. Glycerol/Glycerin is famous for being tacky, but it is not tacky if it is used at, say 40% or 60%, it will become “oily” and stays oily for quite some time even after water evaporates.

I do not know what UCON-75-H-450 and PEG/PGG 17-6-Copolymer are. But I know that some humectants, emollients, surfactants, solvents, oils, so on and so forth which are said to provide slip, slide, and glide, or not sticky/tacky may not be what they are said to be.

Ultimately, what is in your formula may be very important. Because you may have too much tacky stuff, or some chemical reactions among those stuff that make the final product tacky. It also could be the brand or purity or both, of the same substance you use. Example, lately, I realised that common/cheap Xanthan Gum is sticky and stringy, but expensive Xanthan Gum by Jungbunzlauer is not stick nor stringy. Same name but different qualities.