Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Making a sulphate free moisturing shampoo for curly hair

• Making a sulphate free moisturing shampoo for curly hair

Posted by Rookayerh123 on November 2, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Hello, please help me.

I want to make a sulphate free shampoo that is mild for curly dry hair and I am accessible to these surfactants: Cocamidoproply betaine, SCI, decyl glucoside, coco glucoside and Alpha olefin sulphonate.

I only want to use 2 blend out of these to make my shampoo. Or do I need 3? Please recommend what combo will be best for my hair type.

I also want to know if I can use xanthan gum to thicken or guar gum and poly quat 10. Which is best?

I only want to add glycerin and the polymers to this shampoo. Please recommend percentage. 

Thank you

Rookayerh123 replied 3 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ketchito

November 3, 2020 at 1:57 pm

@Rookayerh123 I’d choose pairs of surfactants that have interactions between each other:

- either Cocamidoproply betaine and Alpha olefin sulphonate/SCI,
    - or 
    Decyl glucoside and Coco glucoside

If you only have Xanthan gum or Guar gum, I’d choose Xanthan gum. PQ-10 gives a bit of viscosity, but it’s mainly used as conditioner (being a cationic polymer), which you also need in your formula.

I wouldn’t worry about adding Glycerin, but you can add a bit if you want (keep it not more than 0.5% because it can impair foam).

• Rookayerh123

November 5, 2020 at 4:26 pm

@ketchito thank you very much. Can I use both xanthan gum and polyquat in the formula and at what percentages do you recommend.

Also can I add fragrance oil at 0.5-1% or do I still still need a solubilizer. 

• Rookayerh123

November 6, 2020 at 8:30 pm

Hey guys please I really need help with this formula.

Alpha olefin sulphonate 28%
    CAPB 13%
    *i want to use an ASM of 13% that is mild enough for curly hair.

Polyquat 0.3%
    Glycerin 1%
    Fragrance 0.5%

Water

For thickening, I would like to use xanthan gum but because of the poly quat I cannot. What % of guar gum can I use. 

If I use a liquid thickner, then at what percentage. 

@Perry