Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Is that legal selling personal care product with blueberry extract?

• Is that legal selling personal care product with blueberry extract?

Posted by karlyip on October 12, 2020 at 8:46 am

I added some blueberry extract (around 20% of anthocyanin) to my personal care product and makes it purple in color. However, I can’t see the anthocyanin on the FDA approved colorant list. Could I describe it as an antioxidant but not a colorant? Thanks for your attention.

oldperry replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • oldperry

October 12, 2020 at 1:15 pm

If you are putting the blueberry extract in your formula for the color, then that would be illegal as it isn’t an approved colorant. You can say it is an antioxidant but if the color of your formula is in any way important for your marketing, then it would still be illegal (in my opinion).

• karlyip

October 14, 2020 at 1:38 am

Perry said:

If you are putting the blueberry extract in your formula to for the color, then that would be illegal as it isn’t an approved colorant. You can say it is an antioxidant but if the color of your formula is in any way important for your marketing, then it would still be illegal (in my opinion).

Thanks, Perry, so if I don’t sell the product by emphasizing the color, then it probably not illegal right?

• oldperry

October 14, 2020 at 2:18 pm

@karlyip - this is a question for a lawyer or a regulatory expert (neither of which I am). 

You would have to answer the question “what is your purpose for adding the blueberry extract?” If your response is that you are adding it as an antioxidant, then you’ll need to be able to demonstrate that it works in your formula as an antioxidant. 

In my opinion, this comes off as just trying to get around the law & I would advise against it. However, there may be regulatory experts who disagree with me.