Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Increasing glide/slip to shampoo

• Increasing glide/slip to shampoo

Posted by Zara on September 19, 2020 at 6:50 am

I have made a shampoo with,

Water,  Lauryl glucoside, Cocamidopropyl betaine, Sodium cocoyl glycinate, Caprylyl capryl glucoside, glycerin, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate , plantaserve E, Essential oil.

The total active is 13.5. The lather is not bad but it doesn’t have enough glide.
    Btw, Do you think glycerin / sorbitol is really beneficial for shampoo? 
    Do you have any suggestion please? I really appreciate your help.

Zara replied 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • ketchito

September 19, 2020 at 1:36 pm

@Zara I’d actually add some silicone, unless you want to avoid them. You could also add glyceryl oleate, or even a surfactant that has a nice after feel, like Sodium cocoyl glutamate (only watch for your final viscosity since it tends to reduce it).

• Zara

September 20, 2020 at 6:34 am

@ketchito , Thank you for your info.
    I have to avoid silicon and also keep the formula clear. 
    I can not find glyceryl oleate by itself but there is Lamesoft® PO 65 which contains Coco-glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate. Do you think this could work?  I experimented on Glyceryl Cocoate but made the formula opaque.
    Sodium cocoyl glutamate has been out of stock for quite a while in Australia. 
    I don’t know what to do. I’ve been experimenting and searching a lot but still not finished it yet, :(
    I tried 
    to add cellulose gum to my formula for a while to thicken the formula and give it some slip but it was a bit hard so looking for something easier. 

• belassi

September 20, 2020 at 9:28 pm

In my experience Lamesoft PO65 is short flow and will not give the effect you are looking for. Also it makes the hair soft, alright… horribly limp in fact.

• ketchito

September 21, 2020 at 1:15 pm

@Zara Yes, you can use Lamesoft PO65 and still get a clear formula. There’s a shampoo formula with Lamesoft PO65 by BASF on Ulprospector, that you can use as reference: https://www.ulprospector.com/es/la/PersonalCare/Detail/1960/113833/Clear-NPA-Shampoo-Formulation-US-00797-030?doc=1027988&st=20.

As @Belassi mentioned, not everyone like the effect of Lamesoft PO65 on hair, so you have to test is to see if it feels ok for you, and especially at which dose it gives the best result. 

I’d advise to use PQ-10 as well (consider that it’s derived from Cellulose, so it’s on natural origin), of Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, for both film forming and as aid for oil deposition. 

• Zara

September 22, 2020 at 9:54 am

@Belassi Yes, you are right. I tried Coco-glucoside but I didn’t like it. It felt so greasy.
    @ketchito , I didn’t have any luck with Polyquat-7 but I’ll try Polyquat-10 at 0.1-0.2% and hope it works.
    Thanks again for your help.

• belassi

September 23, 2020 at 1:06 am

Instead of Lamesoft try Polyquart H-81 it gives the hair ‘bounce’. Use rate 1% typically.

• soapcake

September 24, 2020 at 5:05 pm

A quat would be nice. Also marshmallow root gives a very lovely slip to shampoo, although I have only tried this in a solid shampoo. I found a very small amount brings a nice conditioning feel. 

• Zara

September 25, 2020 at 1:12 pm

Thanks every one for your help.
    @Belassi , I can’t find Polyquart H-81 in Australia unfortunately but I’ll keep in mind for future.
    @soapcake Yes, it is so easy to add herbs when making a shampoo bars.
    I use marshmallow powder in hair conditioner.

• Zara

September 27, 2020 at 5:30 am

Belassi , as you suggested I added 0.2g of Polyquat-10 and it worked very well, thank you.
    I tried to incorporate cellulose to my formula too many times and every time it failed and I thought because Polyquat-10 is from cellulose I assumed it won’t work. Thank you I have the outcome I was looking for.