Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Help for this Baby body milk formulation!!

• Help for this Baby body milk formulation!!

Posted by Sam on September 16, 2020 at 1:46 pm

Hello,
    Im new here and i just started formulating and wanted to start with basic formulas.
    So i have here this baby body milk Formula:

Aqua :     qs
    Glycerin:  1-3%
    Triethanolamine: will start with small tests of TEA and stearic acid and see how it goes
    Stearic acid:  
    Cetyl alcohol:
    Paraffinum liquidum:
    Petrolatum:
    Water (and) Sodium Benzoate (and) Potassium Sorbate:  (will decide depending on what the data sheet will say)

the surfactant here will be stearic acid after being neutrelized by TEA, so after trying to calculate the % of stearic acid using the HLB method, i couldn’t find the hlb required for paraffinum liquidum on the internet, i also don’t know if cetyl alcool will be added with the oil phase in the hlb calcul or as a cosurfactant

Please help im lost!!

ketchito replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • belassi

September 16, 2020 at 5:57 pm

I doubt this will work as-is. The only emulsifier is the TEA soap.

• ketchito

September 17, 2020 at 1:53 pm

@Sam I’d suggest to check formulations on internet similar to the one you’re trying to make. The HLB system rather than telling you how much of emulsifier you need, it tells you is the nature of that emulsifier is suitable for the type of oils you want to emulsify. As a very general rule, you can consider a ratio emulsifier:oils of 1:4 or 1:5. It’s better if you count the Cetearyl alcohol as part of your oil phase. If it doesn’t work, you might consider changing the emulsifier (I don’t think you could calculate the HLB of your TEA-stearate since it’s an anionic emulsifier, and they have many limitations compared to non ionic emulsifiers).