isostearyl isostearate vs DuraQuench IQ SA.... Value added?

GraillotionGraillotion Member
edited September 12 in Formulating
DuraQuench IQ SA : 
  • INCI Name:
     Cetyl Alcohol (and) Isostearyl Isostearate (and) Potassium Cetyl Phosphate (and) Cetyl Stearate (and) Stearic Acid
In my next formula, a facial cream, I want to consider isostearyl isostearate.  After a quick look at my typical vendors, I could only find the multi-ingredient version of DuraQuench IQ SA.
So was wondering if anyone had worked with both products, and if the latter had any added value over just straight isostearyl isostearate.  Additional moisturizing?  Better feel?  Any type of observations are welcome.

Comments

• chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    ISIS (the ester not the terrorists) is a nice light branched ester. Not too expensive either. Decent emolliency and easy to work with. This combo above includes Cetyl Stearate I see, also known as "Cetyl Esters" and a good addition for that powdery cushion after-feel; also not expensive. Both should be relatively easy to find as separate materials, at least in North America. May need to find an atypical vendor.
  • I don't see why the other ingredients would hurt, it could even make formulation a bit simpler by e.g. removing need for separate addition of cetyl alcohol - a nice not too waxy thickener/stabilizer.

• @Graillotion I recently ordered Isostearyl Isostearate from Trulux. The prices on Trulux are generally much higher buying from Europe or the US, but there are some ingredients there you just can't buy easily anywhere else. They ship via FedEx and I found the delivery from Australia to the UK is faster than from Europe sometimes (within a week). It might be even faster to Hawaii.

I know ISIS is available from Croda etc as well but I've started feeling guilty about the samples I've been requesting and receiving from distributors lately, and then not getting the result I want from the samples, and so not having any plans to purchase in the future. I'd rather pay to buy from a repackager and not feel that guilt of feeling like a freeloader!

I am waiting for the ISIS to arrive. Not sure yet what I'm planning to do with it - I guess it depends on how it feels. If it feels quite light, I guess I'll try replacing some caprylic/capric triglyceride.

The DuraQuench material with the fatty alcohols sounds a bit heavy for what I need, but I wish there was a way to see and feel materials virtually without having to order them in!