Shampoo Lather

Looking to increase the lather on my shampoo, any suggestions with the current surfactants I'm using? It does ok but would like more foaming action. 

Water 51%
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate 6.25%
Caprylyl Capryl Glucoside 6.25%
Coco Glucoside 16.25%
Decyl Glucoside 27.75%
Glycerin 10%
Apple Cider Vinaegar: 10%

Comments

• @ajw000 You actually have a very high content of surfactants in there. I'd start to check for the pH (you might need to reduce your Apple Cider Vinegar quite some)...try it to be above 5 (some anionics foame better at higher pH). You can include a chelator, since the isethionate can be impaired by water hardness. Also, you definitely need to reduce your Glycerin, since it depress foam at some point, and being a very water soluble molecule, it'd tend to go away with water rather than doing anything to your skin/hain in a rinse-off system. If you want even more foam, I'd replace a couple of glucosides, but I think you can improve foam without doing that.
  • @ketchito, thank you for the feedback! Concerning ph, hair has a normal ph of 4.5-5.5? I was trying to keep it close to that, but need a new ph meter to be sure.

For a natural chelating agent, could I use Citric Acid? 

Are you saying to ditch isethionate completely? It's difficult to dissolve it without glycerin anyways.. If I try to disperse in surfactants it turns into a bubble fest. 
  • @ajw000 It's ok to have a pH a bit higher than that of the skin...but just a bit. It helps anionic surfactants to perform better. 

You could use Sodium citrate as a chelator (just keep in mind that it's actually a weak one), or use Citric acid and then add NaOH.

You don't need to replace completely the Isethionate. Actually, I remember it's stable in a pH range of 6-8, else it'd hydrolyze, and maybe that's what's happening, so you definitely need to raise you pH a bit.

Try this, and if the gain is not too much, you could replace a bit for another anionic that foams better, or even adding a zwitterionic like Cocamidopropylbetaine.  
  • ketchito said:
    @ajw000 It's ok to have a pH a bit higher than that of the skin...but just a bit. It helps anionic surfactants to perform better. 

You could use Sodium citrate as a chelator (just keep in mind that it's actually a weak one), or use Citric acid and then add NaOH.

You don't need to replace completely the Isethionate. Actually, I remember it's stable in a pH range of 6-8, else it'd hydrolyze, and maybe that's what's happening, so you definitely need to raise you pH a bit.

Try this, and if the gain is not too much, you could replace a bit for another anionic that foams better, or even adding a zwitterionic like Cocamidopropylbetaine.  
    Cocamidopropyl betaine is great. I use it in all my shampoo bars to get a good lather and seems to be pretty gentle on skin too. :)
  • @Dragonturtle ; and @ketchito

I will try lowering the apple cider, and look for other ways to increase the ph level naturally, then report findings. I'm aiming for a 100% natural formula, so cocamidopropyl betaine is out unfortunately, though I have heard good things as well. 

Thanks!
  • chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    @ajw000 This is easier than you think: DELETE THE GLYCERINE! You have plenty surfactants in this and you will notice a dramatic improvement in foam. As I have stated so many times in this forum: friends, don't let friends add glycerine to shampoos and body washes. All it does is kill foam and viscosity before it rinses down your drain to oblivion.

• OlaOla Member
    I think it will work alot better without the glycerine..
    Or 1-2% is fine
  • @chemicalmatt Thank you for the info! I'm up for reducing/removing glycerin from the formula. Can you suggest how to better dissolve the SCI in the solution? when I try to dissolve in surfactants it turns into a bubbly mess, and with too little agitation there are visible flakes left. Currently that is what I had been using Glycerin for. 
  • ajw000ajw000 Member
    edited September 19
    Also, I am using Menthol crystals and Xanthan gum, which I dissolved in glycerin.. What else would I dissolve them in? 
  • Dropped Glycerin to 2% (enough to dissolve the xanthan and menthol crystals) and sliced the apple cider vinegar in half. Lather is much better! Thanks for the help! 
  • The only use for vinegar in a shampoo is when the shampoo is common soap and the hair as a result is clagged up in hard water deposits. Vinegar is used as a rinse. This was the way before surfactants were invented. Get rid of it. Besides, it stinks.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    @Belassi - There is one other use. Some consumers find it a compelling marketing story.