Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General CAPB vs cocamide DEA

• CAPB vs cocamide DEA

Posted by abdullah on September 2, 2020 at 6:12 am

In comparison of CAPB vs cocamide DEA, which is superior in these departments? 

Foam boosting 
    Foam stabilizing 
    Viscosity increasing with SLES 
    Mildness to eye 
    Mildness to skin 

In my experience cocamide DEA is better than CAPB but thatmthat be because of the quality of CAPB for this particular supplier. 

ketchito replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • zetein

September 2, 2020 at 6:53 am

CAPB was used as primary surfactant in quite a lot mild cleansing products.
    CDEA on the other hand, was never used as primary surfactant in any product.
    Though I wonders why.  😐

• ketchito

September 2, 2020 at 2:30 pm

@Abdullah CAPB and Cocamide DEA have different interfacial propertirs. CAPB interacts more with anionic surfactants through it polar (head) group, forming mixed micelles which increase detergency and foam, and makes the system more mild. Cocamide DEA interacts more through its non polar (tail) group with both LESS and CAPB, making foam more stable/thick and giving more clarity through hydrogen bonding with water. 

That’s why you usually see a combination of the three in very rich-foam products (LESS-CAPB-Cocamide DEA). 

• abdullah

September 3, 2020 at 4:02 am

@zetein in my experience CAPB can’t clean clean the scalp and hair for for adult oily scalp. Even at %10, %15, %20 active surfactant. I don’t know how it works for majority of people

• abdullah

September 3, 2020 at 4:10 am

@ketchito do all amphoteric surfactant interact this way with anionic surfactants or just CAPB? 

What would be a good ratio between anionic/amphoteric surfactant for best detergency, mildness and foam? 

• ketchito

September 3, 2020 at 1:21 pm

@Abdullah As a general rule, yes…but it depends on many things like the lenght of the alkyl tail (it it’s too long, hydrophobicity will push the molecule “down”, making it interact more with the tail), size of the polar group (that could also alter packing of the micelles), pH (which can actually be detrimental if pH is too low, forcing the amphoteric to behave as a cationic). 

A good ratio for a mixture of SLES/CAPB would be 3:1 or 4:1. But be careful especially if you’re using salt in your system, because it can turn to gel very easily depending on the amounts of surfactants you’re using.