Polysorbate 80 
C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate
Polyacrylamide
C13-14 Isoparaffin
Laureth-7
Glycerin
Paraffinum Liquidum
Sodium PCA

when i mix all ingredient except PCA, the viscous is very Thick, but when i add the PCA the viscous become less thick/watery.
i already search the reference but i dont get it.

Can anyone here help with this issue?

thanks for the help
Tagged:

Comments

• and one more question..the lotion gives sticky feeling.

can someone tell me what ingredient above gives sticky/tacky feeling to my lotion.

Thankyou
  • ggpetrovggpetrov Member
    edited September 1
    I am not familiar with this emulsifier, but the Sodium PCA is know as viscosity reductor in some systems. It is in general salt, so it could mess some of the ingredients - emulsifiers, polymeric thickeners etc. It is heat resistant, but me personally prefer to add it to the cool down phase, where it rare brokes the emulsions.

• chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    From your listing it appears you are using Seppigel 305 as thickener. This rheological does not hold up well with electrolytes. SODIUM PCA is an electrolyte. Reduce or remove and its all good. Also: cera alba (beeswax) is your sticky thingy. C12-15 alkyl benzoate usually mitigates this, so perhaps less beeswax, and more ester will reduce the tack.
  • Sepimax Zen can deal with 2% of sodium PCA. But I prefer not to add electrolytes when use polymeric emulsifiers/stabilisers at all.
  • kotkot Member, PCF student
    Electrolyte- is there any list of them at all? How to find out that ingredient or groups of them are/is electrolytes?
  • Sodium is a key word here. Sodium is a metal. If there’s a metal in the beginning it’s a salt. Salts are electrolytes (but not all electrolytes are salts). Electrolytes break gel network of most polymeric emulsifiers derived from acrylic acid. Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Lactate, Zinc PCA, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride.
  • ngarayeva001ngarayeva001 Member
    edited September 3
    Apparently acids are electrolytes too, but those are weak electrolytes. Every time you see a supplier saying that this ‘incredible new polymer’ is electrolytes resistant they don’t mean salts, they mean acids.